Do American boys find the english accent atractive?

Ed   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 04:38 GMT
<<Being called "puta" in Spain because I was walking by myself wasn't charming, though.>>

Oh, that sucks. You should have flipped them off.

I'm not really crazy about the British accent and I don't find it sexy or anything. It does sound elegant sometimes, but sexy - not really. But that's just me.
Mxsmanic   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 05:35 GMT
I tend to forget that a person has an accent after only a few minutes, unless it's a very thick and/or foreign accent, and so the type of accent has little influence on my opinion of another person.
Shatin   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 05:36 GMT
Re American accent, what kind of accent has Condoleeza Rice got? Her accent comes across to me as being very cultured.
rich7   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 05:55 GMT
I'm not a native of the English language and can tell you that I love the American accent maybe due to tv but here in my country most people do as well. I've always wondered why Americans find the british accent atractive. You may think that we latin Americans admire spanish from spain but not, actually we mock it.
rich7   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 06:00 GMT
To me standard English since she's a diplomat, or should I say.......
Fritz   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 06:17 GMT
I love it when someone talks through their nose and sounds whiney all the time. That applies to most Americans, so I say I like the American accent.
american nic   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 06:45 GMT
As an Australian, American accents can be attractive depending on where they come from. I admit I dont mind NY but really like the Boston accent (ala Brian from Average Joe 2) even though I hear most Americans dont like it. English accent - again depends on the region but I prefer American. I dont mind Leeds.
Frances   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 06:46 GMT
Sorry the above message re Boston accent was from and addressed to American Nic - I dont know why I put his name on the top!
Frances   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 06:47 GMT
Sorry I'm really stuffing up here again! Messages above are from to American Nic
Frances   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 06:52 GMT
Stuffed up again - apologies for wasting space - I am trying to say that I wrote the messages and they are addressed to American Nic
Dk   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 07:01 GMT
Thanks everyone!! To Io sorry if this is a lame topic to you or if its in the wrong place, i've never been to this forum before and didnt know where to put my question.
Tiffany   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 07:05 GMT
As a American, I wouldn't say I was "fascinated" by accents other than mine, though I did grow up with the general consensus that other English accents were preferable to my own. I don't think that was something I innately felt - it was almost ingrained, a social way of thinking - as if that was how you "should think" if you were normal.

I don't really think it is true anymore - at least not for all of them. I prefer my accent to Steve Irwin's (broad?). And while I think the Cockney accent is charming in it's own way, I wouldn't want to speak as they did. I still think some are nicer though. I really like Kate Winslet's accent in Sense and Sensibility. What was it?
Tiffany   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 07:06 GMT
Dk, don't pay Io any mind. It's a perfectly acceptable question, especially when you look at our history of them.
Deborah   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 07:34 GMT
I think it's impossible to be objective about your own accent, but you can get an idea of how it sounds to others if you can find someone who's good at speaking gibberish using different accents.
Damian   Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 09:05 GMT
Tiffany.....Kate's accent was "Home Counties"...but definitely NOT Essex!