Do American boys find the english accent atractive?

Travis   Friday, March 25, 2005, 23:18 GMT
Well, at least she isn't Paris Hilton, one must remember.
Deborah   Friday, March 25, 2005, 23:28 GMT
Yes, I will give her that!
Kel   Friday, March 25, 2005, 23:45 GMT
Ecchh. Just reading her name makes me want to go to the VD clinic...
Ed   Saturday, March 26, 2005, 00:20 GMT
Britney is a tacky trailer-trash bitch lol
Kirk   Saturday, March 26, 2005, 06:16 GMT
Kinda funny how this post went from the original topic to Texas to Britney Spears....*ran-dom*!!!! Reminds me of the game "telephone."

Going back to an earlier post by Deborah:

--As I was writing my anecdote, it occurred to me that my attempt to give some idea of the little girl's Texas accent without doing the same to indicate my California accent in the narrative doesn't seem to fit in with my assertion that everyone has an accent.--

I always do find it funny when writers try to emulate "different" speech by changing up spellings as if the standard spelling they were using for their own speech conformed perfectly to the written words :)

Anyway, good story.
Deborah   Saturday, March 26, 2005, 08:52 GMT
Kirk, I suppose authors expect that readers understand that the unaltered spelling, no matter how unphonetic, is supposed to represent the "standard" accent and that everyone knows how that accent sounds, so it's not necessary to change the spelling. And I do appreciate authors' attempts to convey the differences between the standard accent and regional accents. I think Mark Twain's writing would lose considerable flavor without his representations of the different Southern accents.

In fairness to the little girl in Texas, here’s my attempt to render the California accent. But first here’s my revision of the Texan girl’s speech:

Mama, that mayin in th’ next bewth shore duz tawk funneh (funnih?).

California:

Mama, that man in th’ next booth shur duz tok funny.
Sander   Saturday, March 26, 2005, 13:56 GMT
=>I agree with you Deborah. She is successful and I can't blame her for using the gifts God gave her, but it sure as hell isn't her voice.<=

Is this a matter of speech or do you really believe that there is a god?!
euro_boy   Saturday, March 26, 2005, 21:20 GMT
"oci (plural, pronounced o-chi) in Southern Slavic languages. I know "dobro" in Romanian is "good" as is with most slavic languages. I think there are a few Slavic loanwords"

Frances,

dobro is in Bulgarian or Russian. In Ropmanian is "bun" or "buna" for feminin.
Romanian is not a Slavic language, but Romance.
mjd   Saturday, March 26, 2005, 23:18 GMT
It's an expression, Sander. In addition, unless a discussion of one's religious beliefs or lack thereof has to do with languages, I really wish you'd refrain from posting stuff that is off-topic.
Frances   Saturday, March 26, 2005, 23:57 GMT
Euro_boy - i know Romanian is a romance language. I was just making a suggestion, and my suggestion was wrong. Apologies.
Tiffany   Sunday, March 27, 2005, 02:56 GMT
Frances, wrong about what? No one can deny the fact that there are many words of Slavic origin in the Romanian language. Despite the fact that many words in their language do come from Latin, they pronounce their words with the Slavic palatization which gives their speech the characteristic Slavic feel.
Texan   Sunday, March 27, 2005, 05:01 GMT
It's nice to know we are so loved by all yall huh? Other states actually have a worse accent than we do in my opinion, especially the northern states.., and other southern states have much heavier accents. I think its hilarious when yall try to imitate us, yall just sound like idiots.
Ed   Sunday, March 27, 2005, 05:30 GMT
<<I think its hilarious when yall try to imitate us, yall just sound like idiots.>>

Well, Texan, no offense but that's only because that's exactly the way your accent sounds.
Lazar   Sunday, March 27, 2005, 07:01 GMT
I don't want to get into politics here, but I love James Carville's accent. (He is a political commentator from Louisiana, if you didn't know.) One time he was saying to somebody on Crossfire, "Ya cain't oanestleh BLEEVE dat dat is true!" Then another time, he said "Da Republicans and da drug cumpaniz git all the munaggggh!" with a strong guttural element at the end. Then he turned to the audience and repeated "Da MUNAGGGHHHH!"
2W   Sunday, March 27, 2005, 08:29 GMT
Well I for one hate the southern accents you truly soud (like ed said) like idiots.