the valley girls

Joanne   Saturday, April 02, 2005, 23:13 GMT
When I was a kid, I used to make fun of my cousins from San Francisco and Salinas when they said "I nyoo it!" or "chocolate and nyoogat" or "he's nyooorotic!"
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 01:19 GMT
Joanne, you're so mean LOL
Deborah   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 01:24 GMT
Joanne, since your cousins pronounced "nougat" as "nyoogat", did they also say "cyoopon" for "coupon"? I said "cyoopon" when I was a kid, but not since then.
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 01:25 GMT
oh, kyoopon sounds particularly horrible to me...
Travis   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 01:29 GMT
The dialect around here really, really does not favor such onglides, with "coupon" being /kupAn/, and also with some words with /w/ (not just /j/) onglides tending to lose them, such as "quarter" being /kortr=/ rather than /kwortr=/, "coordinate" being /kordInet/ rather than /kwordInet/, and so on.
Joanne   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 01:36 GMT
Ed, I'm not mean! They made fun of how I say "coffee" and "talk." They can take a little ribbing from a "Nyoooo Juhrrseyan" :D

And Deborah, yes, they say "cyoopon" too! It sounds just as horrible to me as it does to Ed. lol
Deborah   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 01:42 GMT
Joanne, I take you say "kwaffee" and "twak", or "kwoffee" and "twok", if your accent is mild.
Joanne   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 01:53 GMT
Deborah, I say "kwoffee" and "twok." People in Queens say "kwahffee" and "twahk".... don't they, Ed? :)
Travis   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 01:55 GMT
Oh great, I'm really an insular sort it seems, as I never ever knew people said things like "kwoffee" and "twok" myself in the first place. Maybe the English here in Wisconsin doesn't provide some kind of universal standard for English-speakers in general then after all, it seems... ;)
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:02 GMT
<<Deborah, I say "kwoffee" and "twok." People in Queens say "kwahffee" and "twahk".... don't they, Ed? :) >>

Hmmm, I don't. I say "kwoffee", as well.
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:03 GMT
Oh, Travis, it seems you're not familiar with the NYC accent. Listen to Victoria Gotti. She has a very "cute" accent lol
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:04 GMT
Or maybe I do say kwaffee...
Joanne   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:06 GMT
Aw... don't feel bad. Only newscasters speak Robot English, really. Wisconsin and Minnesota have some peculiarities in their accents, too! Like they way some people pronounce "house" and "about."
Joanne   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:09 GMT
Oops. I meant "the," not "they."
Ed   Sunday, April 03, 2005, 02:10 GMT
OMG Joanne the funniest thing I've heard on the radio the other day. It was a parody of the song Rich Girl called Jersey Girl. hahaha It was sooooo funny. I'll try to post a link.