Andre from South Africa presents: "The Afrikaner Language Thread"

andre in south africa   Monday, April 11, 2005, 10:37 GMT
Will be away from my computer until Thursday, but feel free to continue this conversation, will answer on Thursday
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 17:56 GMT
I'm back - if anyone cares :)
Travis   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 18:36 GMT
Well, now this thread can finally continue once more. ;)
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 13, 2005, 18:45 GMT
was actually thinking of you yesterday travis i am in a hotel at the moment a group germans here
Sander   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 16:11 GMT
....and thus you were thinking about an american who speaks german.
Tyrone   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 16:11 GMT
Sander, congratulations on making a completely obvious statement.

Andre, welcome back. hope your week's gone well.
Sander   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 16:12 GMT
....strange because I have same thing with "Mathijs"....every time I hear,see or smell a belgian I think its him.
Tyrone   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 16:34 GMT
heh, perhaps we cna find smething S.A. related to discuss again. Any suggestions?
Sander   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 17:00 GMT
=>heh, perhaps we cna find smething S.A. related to discuss again. Any suggestions?<=

Okay....why has SA got the largest number of HIV possitive people in the world?Ive always seen it as one of the most progressive countries on the continent of Africa.
andre in south africa   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 17:15 GMT
>....why has SA got the largest number of HIV possitive people in the world?Ive always seen it as one of the most progressive countries on the continent of Africa. <

Because we have an idiot for a president who refuses to acknowledge that there is something like aids, even after his own media spokesperson died of aids

>and thus you were thinking about an american who speaks german.<

No, was just thinking if Travis was there, it would have been an excellent opportunity for him to practise his German. Incidently, they were here to test new models of Mercedes

>Andre, welcome back. hope your week's gone well. <

Thanks Tyrone, it was wonderful I was in the Drakensberg... :)
Tyrone   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 17:36 GMT
Andre, I MISS the Drak so much! I was mainly in the central drak...where'd you visit? And how's the weather right now? I last hiked there in August...and got hailed on!

Does SA have the HIGHEST number, or just highest percentage? It's pretty high in KZN, over 25% of the pop living with HIV. I think there's several factors to the whole problem, although I'd agree that Mbeki isn't particularly clever and especially on devastating issues such as this.
andre in south africa   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 17:44 GMT
Hi tyrone

was in the Free State part of it - it is SO beautiful. Getting cold but the weather is actually quite nice. Hail in August? yes last year was a funny season

Highest figure I'm afraid Tyrone one of every eight people
andre in south africa   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 18:06 GMT
As for Mbeki the man thinks Mugabe is POPULAR in Zimbabwe. Saw some pictures today.... I know, Mr Moderator, this has no place here...
Travis   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 18:22 GMT
One way or another, Mbeki is no Mandela, that can be said for sure. As for his views on AIDS, such is *at best* severe incompetence, and from a practical standpoint at least bordering on outright criminal, but then, even if he did try to do something about such, I somehow doubt his political will to actually be able to do such effectively.

As for practicing German, at this point, outside of my German class, the primary opportunities that I get to do such is chatting in IRC with some people I know who're German or Austrian, even though that is sort of counteracted by the fact that they often want to practice /English/ with me, resulting in some funny conversations where I'm speaking to them in German, and they're speaking to me in English.
andre in south africa   Thursday, April 14, 2005, 18:30 GMT
Travis

Quite right Mbeki is no Mandela, a man we all respect and love. I've met Mandela, if ever there was a man who deserved to be declared a saint....

And you're making me feel really guilty about protesting your writing German in here... do it!! I won't complain again!!!