Language rating...?

JJM   Monday, April 18, 2005, 07:17 GMT
"A language is never logical,especially foreighn [sic] ones."

Of course "foreign languages" never seem "logical." That's because we judge them entirely in terms of our native language.

"A language can never be logical."

That statement is not logical.
Travis   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 13:37 GMT
Well, languages in general are usually not "logical", one way or another.
JJM   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 14:45 GMT
Well, this question about whether languages are logical or not makes for some interesting food for thought.

I maintain my position that languages are indeed logical AS A WHOLE - otherwise we could not have this discussion in the first place. The end product of language is the successful communication of ideas. We know the speakers of any language cannot successfully communicate with each other by using gibberish. To consistently arrive at that end product, there has to be an inherent logic to any language.

Sander contrasted language "rules" with the rules of mathematics. While such a comparison is all apples and oranges, I can usefully use "1+1=2"
to make a point about language logic.

If I take the concept of a statement based on SUBJECT CAUSES ACTION TO OBJECT, all human languages will have the grammatical mechanisms to express this statement so that it can be understood by another speaker of that language. They would accomplish this in a myriad of different ways and with a considerable variation in syntax:

TO OBJECT SUBJECT CAUSES ACTION
CAUSES ACTION SUBJECT TO OBJECT
SUBJECT OBJECT CAUSES ACTION TO
SUBJECT TO OBJECT CAUSES ACTION

...and so on.

Now let's make an analogy based on Sanders' "1+1=2." If math were language, the ways of expressing that statement would no doubt be highly varied:

(1x2)+(1-1)=2
1+(2x.5)=2
(2x2)-2=2
(2-1)+(2-1)=2

...and so on.

But while these equations seem fairly convoluted, they all arrive at the same end product.

They are all therefore equally "logical."
Sander   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 17:20 GMT
1x2)+(1-1)=2
1+(2x.5)=2
(2x2)-2=2
(2-1)+(2-1)=2

But simplyfied...its allways 1+1=2 this isnt the same with languages. languages cant simplyfied till they all mean the same.So a language can never be logical.That statement is logical.
Mxsmanic   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 18:09 GMT
No language is significantly more or less difficult than any other language. They are all about equally difficult to learn from an objective standpoint. The proof of this is that children all over the world learn their languages at roughly the same rate. If any languages were objectively more difficult than any others, the children learning them would take longer to become fluent ... but in reality, all children become fluent at roughly the same speed, no matter what language they learn.

Many people like to believe that their native languages are objectively more difficult than any others, primarily because this stokes their own egos ... after all, if they can speak their native languages fluently, and their native languages are "hard," then that makes them especially smart, doesn't it? But language difficulty varies little from one language to another, so this is mostly egotistical fantasy on the part of people who like to buy into various linguistic myths.

English is not any harder or easier than any other language.
Sander   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 18:17 GMT
"No language is significantly more or less difficult than any other language."

"English is not any harder or easier than any other language."

Bullshit
Jo   Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 20:26 GMT
Bullshit
Wouldn't it be more interesting if you debated the point, Sander?
Wat ben je toch een klootzak ( mjd* what an asshole you are, I mean that's what I am saying to Sander , not to you but I am trying to comply with the rules of translating foreign texts)
Jo   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 12:29 GMT
help me, i'm gay
Cro Magnon   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 16:32 GMT
<=Many people like to believe that their native languages are objectively more difficult than any others, primarily because this stokes their own egos ... =>

It's also easy to think the native language is easier than others because they learned it as a child and don't clearly remember all the early errors.

<=English is not any harder or easier than any other language=>

My language experience is limited, but I know English spelling and pronounciation is harder than Spanish, and the verbs and gender are much easier. It probably balances out.
Sander   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 14:49 GMT
=>Wouldn't it be more interesting if you debated the point, Sander?
Wat ben je toch een klootzak ( mjd* what an asshole you are, I mean that's what I am saying to Sander , not to you but I am trying to comply with the rules of translating foreign texts)<=

Sure you arrogant belgian. l:(

The things that Mxsmanic wrote don't make any sense at all.Of course there are hard and easy languages!Want an example? Okay,esperanto..a language with as prime demand :" It should be easy " .Is Dutch harder then English?Yes probably.The thing is what you think is easy can be found very hard by another.But when you look at things like purely grammer and such,you can make a difference between the languages of the word! Debated it enough belgian ?!
Sanja   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 15:02 GMT
"If any languages were objectively more difficult than any others, the children learning them would take longer to become fluent ... but in reality, all children become fluent at roughly the same speed, no matter what language they learn."

Of course, because they learn their native language since the day they were born and they listen to it every day, so eventually they become fluent in it, even if it is very hard. But if a foreigner tried to learn the same language, he/she could find it very difficult.