Favourite English Name

Fredrik from Norway   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 19:54 GMT
And yes, i watch Heartbeat now and then, when I am visit the old folks (they love it...). it has been on TV here in Norway for years and some years ago, during a holiday in Britain, my family actually visited the village of Goathland in Yorkshire where the series are filmed. lots of Norwegian papers have had articles about "how the find the real Aidensfield and Gina´s pub" etc...
We Norwegians just love all kinds of BBC series. My first taste of it was "The darling buds of May" with the Larkin family when I was barely out of my diapers...
Damian   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 22:29 GMT
FREDRICK:

I don't really know any Fredericks personally...it's not that common a name here in Scotland, and as you know it's mostly likely to be shortened to Fred. It's a strange thing really, but when people have a name of two (or more) syllables they are nearly always shortened to just one, as in Frederick. William become either Will..or perhaps Bill. Jennifer become Jen. Alexander (a very common name here in Scotland, and is actually my middle name) always become Alex, with hardly any exception.

When people have a name with just one syllable though, as in John for instance, it becomes Johnnie. Anne (or Ann) becomes Annie. This is all because it sounds more friendly and familiar I reckon. The long names become short and the short names become long, all in the name of sounding more affectionate.

Does this happen in Norway as well?

Thanks for the comments on the TV programs. I don't watch "Heartbeat" as often as I would like because I am often out at that time on a Sunday evening, but I adore ALL programs about the Police, whether dramas, soaps or docs. "The Bill" is really cool and so realistic and true to life..most of the time. They had several unrealistically OTT episodes recently but I have two friends who are coppers..one in Edinburgh and one in Harrogate, back down in Yorkshire (actually in the same police area as fictional Aidensfield I believe ..aka Goathland as you say)...so they tell me what really goes on. "Heartbeat" is really just a gentle sort of period piece effort from a time long ago now, all quaint and very laid back!
Lilly Gearophel'   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 23:33 GMT
Male: Tyler
Female: Kate
Sanja   Friday, April 22, 2005, 14:29 GMT
Favourite male names: Jonathan, Nathan, Eric.....etc.
Can't think of any good female names right now :)
whore   Friday, April 22, 2005, 14:34 GMT
my favourite name is whore
Damian   Friday, April 22, 2005, 14:48 GMT
UK latest list for most popular names given to babies:

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/pregnancyandbaby/babynames/popularity/results/0,,0,00.html
Damian   Friday, April 22, 2005, 14:54 GMT
Just to balance things out...the LEAST faves:

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/pregnancyandbaby/babynames/popularity/results/0,,1,00.html

Some names seem to be on both lists...a matter of order I guess.
Adam   Friday, April 22, 2005, 17:37 GMT
Has anyone ever watched Only Fools and Horses? Voted the best British comedy ever.

Watch all the episodes of them and you will become fluent in Cockney Rhyming Slang.
English   Friday, April 22, 2005, 18:30 GMT
My favourite English name?

Well it sure ain't Adam.
Damian   Friday, April 22, 2005, 22:55 GMT
If ADAM was the First Man who decided to call him that in the first place???? :-)
Barbara   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 04:07 GMT
<<If ADAM was the First Man who decided to call him that in the first place???? :-) >>

Silly! G-d spoke Hebrew, so he called his creation "adam", meaning "the one formed from the ground" ("adamah" = "ground"). Eve, however, called him "hu lo maqshiv", loosely translated as "he who never listens." :-)
Adam   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 10:52 GMT
Adam and Eve had two sons, Cain and Abel.

So where did all the other people in the world come from considering that males cannot give birth?!

They also visited a bustling marketplace - where did all those people in the market come from?
Damian   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 11:45 GMT
BARBARA: Aye, I know I'm silly. Now another silly question: Why are you shy when typing out the name of the Almighty?
Damian   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 11:48 GMT
Even if you answer my question, being a male I may well not listen anyway! :-)

I think the reason why males never listen is quite obvious really! LOL
Sander   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 14:06 GMT
=>Eve, however, called him "hu lo maqshiv", loosely translated as "he who never listens." :-) <=

How can eve be a "HE"?

And adam,=>They also visited a bustling marketplace - where did all those people in the market come from? <=To my knowlege about the bible,Adam and Eve were the FIRST to be created,agains popular believe that they are at the bottom of the human genetic tree.