Catalan language in danger?

Enrique   Monday, April 25, 2005, 05:20 GMT
Catalan is gay and sucks
Enrique   Monday, April 25, 2005, 05:21 GMT
Like a bulldozer I want to bulldoze Catalan and replace it with Castilian
Travis   Monday, April 25, 2005, 05:32 GMT
"Enrique", you are not welcome on this forum, period; views like yours are not acceptable here in any shape, form, or fashion, no matter what.
Enrique   Monday, April 25, 2005, 05:45 GMT
Say watcha want, but I still want to get rid of Catalan. The less languages, the easier it is for everybody.
Jordi   Monday, April 25, 2005, 06:53 GMT
Visca la llengua catalana! Long live the Catalan language! Travis, thanks again.
Enrique   Monday, April 25, 2005, 06:57 GMT
Could you explain why less languages would mean more simplicity ? And perhaps tell us why, in your opinion, humanity has so many languages if it is unnecessary ?
Joan   Monday, April 25, 2005, 09:23 GMT
jGreco,

Arnau's suggestions are pure science-fiction, let's stick to reality, please, lest we want to change the title of this forum. Although catalan enjoys some status of cooficiality and protection in the Catalan Autonomous Comunity, Spanish remains the only language whose knowledge is really compulsory according to Spanish law as it is now. Thus the only truly oficial language is Spanish, no doubt about this. Unfortunaely for catalan its officiality is purely nominal in many instances, a mere "wannabe". In view of the ever increasing weakness of Catalan in society due to a panoply of causes (historical "sequellae", non-stop inmigration, consolidation a tight Spanish-speaking native population for the first time in history, etc.) Catalan political parties are impelled to do a lot of idle talk about it. Sometimes they end up issuing a petty norm intended to protect the right of Catalan speakers to use their language normally. The usefullness of these norms is altogether doubtfull since they are never applied fully, lacking Catalan authorities neither the power nor the political will to enforce them. Ultimately all this "palavering" is the perfect excuse for ultra-nationalist Spanish media to convince non-residents of a quasi-genocide (!). The world upside-down !
Jordi   Monday, April 25, 2005, 11:29 GMT
I totally agree with the contents of Joan's post.
Enrique   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 18:19 GMT
The less languages, the easier communication is among human beings.
"why, in your opinion, humanity has so many languages if it is unnecessary?"
Unnecessary languages are dying out by the day. The number of languages continues to shrink as globalization dominates.
greg   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 21:16 GMT
Enrique : do they die because they are unnecessary or rendered so ?
Jordi   Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 21:24 GMT
Are you the same one who said a few messages ago that Catalan was gay and sucked?
I suppose that is enough and explains quite well what kind of a person you are. Where abouts in sunny Spain are you from?
Gui   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 06:15 GMT
<<Amic Guilhèm:
Es un plaser poder t'escriure en lo teu occitan, una lenga sòrre que es força bèla e que a donat tant al mond. Coneissi ben lo païs vesin.>>

Hola Jordi,
Moltes gràcies per les teves paraules amables i simpàtiques. Els teus missatges en aquest fòrum són sempre interessants de llegir.
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 06:38 GMT
>Say watcha want, but I still want to get rid of Catalan. The less languages, the easier it is for everybody. <

They have a Adam in Spain too????
greg   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 06:51 GMT
Gui : it's Catalan you wrote your last post in, right ?
Gui   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 06:53 GMT
Yes. And I hope I wrote that correctly.