South African English

andre in south africa   Wednesday, May 04, 2005, 19:00 GMT
yebo!! :)
andre in south africa   Wednesday, May 04, 2005, 19:13 GMT
um... that means yes Sander
Sander   Wednesday, May 04, 2005, 19:35 GMT
Ja Andre,dat had ik ook nog wel begrepen.
Tyrone   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 05:12 GMT
Cha, Andre. Cha!

Or I shoudl perhaps say, Yebo Gogo!
Snipsa   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 06:11 GMT
Hi there Tyrone, pretty good. Or should I say very lekker?
Andre I haven't yet had the time or ching to check out the Pharos will let you know once I have.

Lekker dag verder
Tyrone   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 06:23 GMT
Thanks, snipsa. Or rather, Ngiabonga/Danke. =) I miss SA a lot, KZN in particular.
Snipsa   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 06:27 GMT
KZN is amazing especially the Drakensberge. I love the sea too, but only for about a week then my heart starts pulling me back inland? Where in Amerika are you from.

*Ngiabonga/Danke* I see you learned a lot! Really very good. You were only here for six months weren't you?
Tyrone   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 07:47 GMT
snipsa,

I learned enough to sound clever, hehe, but not nearly enough. I loved living in Pietermaritzburg. I'm from Los Angeles, California, but I go to university in San Diego, California for now.

However, I did indeed love Gauteng. You're from Pretoria, right?
Tyrone   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 07:49 GMT
I daresay I liked Pretoria better than the Free State....sorry, Andre. =)
Snipsa   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 07:54 GMT
Yip I'm from Pretoria. At last somebody who enjoyed Gauteng. It seems like nobody wants to come here, fearing the crime. Anybody else out there reading this it's not that bad, come and see for yourselves.
Were everybody able to speak with you in English? I know that some of us really struggle, but that is also starting to develop.
Tyrone   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 08:33 GMT
I got to speak with a few people in English, mainly young people my age, or black people from eithe rSoweto or neighboring areas. But then I'd pepper my heavily-accented American English with a random Zulu phrase or two, or the occasionaly Afrikaans word.
Snipsa   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 08:36 GMT
I'm glad you got to experience the true South African culture. Speaking with the Zulu's, Afrikaners everybody. Many times, not always, tourists like to only mingle with that which they understand.
I can't remember why were you in RSA? Was it on student exchange?
Sander   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 08:39 GMT
Im getting the feeling that I could like SA as well.But somehow I always get homesick,now Ive heard that there's Dutch tv but...do you have like very flat erea's....with no mountains or hils ?(Not joking)
Snipsa   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 08:42 GMT
Sander, nobody comes to SA for flat areas. They come for the mountains! But to answer your question yes there are. I grew up in Mpumalanga namely Standerton, Kriel and Bethal. That is part of the Platteland. It differs from Cape platteland in the sense that it truly is flat there. So if you really want to come. Yes there are flat areas. All three of those places I know for a fact is as flat as can be, and there are many more. So come and visit, you won't feel homesick!
snipsa   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 08:50 GMT
i studied abroad for six months at UKZN-Pietermaritzburg. God, I miss it.