Eine sprachliche Frage an alle Deutschen

Hans-Ulrich   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 01:40 GMT
Kirk, I answer your question.

Generally it is always /6/ (vokalisches 'r') in German in word-final position, but there's some exception, you can say for example the word "zur" (zu + der) as /tsu:6/ (normally) or /tsur/ (rare), or the vowel "r" alone: /er/. But it doesn't matter in German (on the contrary of English) if the next word begins with vocal o not:

"hier ist" /hi:6 ist/

Take care
Lazar   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 01:44 GMT
It's interesting...up until now, I didn't know that German exhibited non-rhotacism.
Hans-Ulrich   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 01:48 GMT
What is "non-rhotacism"?
Lazar   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 02:22 GMT
Hans-Ulrich: Non-rhotacism is when final R's are dropped or turned into a vowel sound, as when German "hier" is pronounced [hi:6].

The terms "rhotacism" and "non-rhotacism" are often mentioned when English dialects are being discussed. Non-rhotacism occurs in Australia, New Zealand, most of England, and parts of the southern and northeastern United States.
Lazar   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 02:36 GMT
Here are some examples of rhotacism and non-rhotacism:

Received Pronunciation (non-rhotic):
bar - [bA:]
bear - [bE@]
beer - [bI@]
bore - [bO:]
boor - [bU@]
burr - [b3:]
father - [fAD@]

General American English (rhotic):
bar - [bAr]
bear - [bEr]
beer - [bIr]
bore - [bOr]
boor - [bUr]
burr - [b3`]
father - [fAD@`]

Boston English (non-rhotic):
bar - [ba]
bear - [be@]
beer - [bi@]
bore - [bo@]
boor - [bu@]
burr - [b3`]
father - [faD@]
Deborah   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 05:36 GMT
Hans-Ulrich, I don't know whether you saw my post on the first page. I think it may have been overlooked, thanks to the confusion. So I'll post it again:

<< Hans-Ulrich, usually the meaning is clear from the context. But to make it more clear, you can say "she's a cold woman." This doesn't mean that she needs to wear a sweater. >>

But mainly it's the context that tells you which meaning of "cold" is meant.
greg   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 06:36 GMT
Hans-Ulrich : have a look at the 'Trias Lingua' thread. It's about a reconstructed Germanic language called Intergermania (IG) - a linguistic experiment analogous to Interlingua, an old artificial Latin language that looks real. The moderator of the thread - and father of IG - is Travis, with whom you may discuss how words are created, sounds are rendered and syntax implemented. Really interesting.
Sander   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 15:28 GMT
A GERMAN!

Are you going to stay on the forum or did you just want an answer?

Would be great to have a regular German on the forum...(they are rare)
Travis   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 16:21 GMT
I wouldn't exactly call it reconstructed, in that I'm not trying to recreate the old grammar or whatnot; if anything, the grammar is rather analytic, unlike Common Germanic, and is simplified relative to most of the West Germanic languages other than English and Afrikaans. Also the vocabulary is modern in nature, and does include Romance/Latinate vocabulary, especially outside core vocabulary. Another note is that while certain aspects of the phonology are very conservative, moreso than High German, English, or Dutch, which may make it look weird to some, due to it completely lacking the Great Vowel Shift, unlike those and like Low Saxon and the North Germanic languages. However, other aspects of its phonology have been greatly simplified, to make it easier to pronounce for pretty much all native Germanic language-speakers (no /x/, because it is not in English, no diphthongs, because Swedish doesn't have them, no /T/ or /D/, because most modern Germanic languages lack them, no /w/, because most New High German dialects outside of Upper German lack such, no /z/, because the North Germanic languages lack such, and so on).
Jo   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 17:23 GMT
Hans-Ulrich ,
Please tell me if in English we say 'I am cold'
which in German you say is: 'Es ist mir kalt'
Can't you say : 'Ich habe es kalt?'
Hans-Ulrich   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 18:08 GMT
Deborah, thanks for your explanation, I know now it depends on the context. Take care.
Hans-Ulrich   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 18:14 GMT
Sander, my English is awfully bad and poor, I think I'll stay here on the forum, I have sooo much English to learn. Tell me if (or whether?) I do mistakes.
Sander   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 18:18 GMT
Well my english is rather good (if I might say so) but you might help me with my German,and of course,since you are a lonely nationality (like me) you 'represent Germany' in a way.
andre in south africa   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 18:19 GMT
Actually Hans-Ulrich I've read a few of your postings, your English not "awfully bad and poor" at all! Anyone learning a language will make mistakes.
Hans-Ulrich   Thursday, May 26, 2005, 19:21 GMT
Lazar, I use in English always non-rhotacism (that's of course an influence of my mother tongue) and I don't care if the next word begins with vowel, can I do it or rather not?

"Please tell me if in English we say 'I am cold' which in German you say is: 'Es ist mir kalt' Can't you say : 'Ich habe es kalt?'"

Jo, they say in German "es ist mir kalt" or "mir ist kalt", use that. But you could say even "ich habe es kalt", but it is very rare, for example: "Manfred hat es kalt und eine blaue Nase".