why american breakfast?

Yann   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 20:08 GMT
<<Now, they want to make petrol/gas out of them.... :/>>

Not a very good idea indeed: not very profitable, bad for the environment (requires intensive agriculture).
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 20:13 GMT
Sorry, shouldn't have said *strange* I thought I was exceptional in having chewed sunflower seeds it seems I wasn't ;)
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 20:14 GMT
You're right Yann now they're moving on to making petrol/gas out of maize (a much better idea)
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 20:17 GMT
That kind of problem is easy to deal with, as you say, Deborah. BTW I may also not eat tomatoes YEEEAAHHHHH!!!!!! ;)))
Sander   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 20:19 GMT
Deborah   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 22:43 GMT
andre, now you tell me you can't eat tomatoes? Stop, you're making me cry! Now I'm reminded of a lunch I had somewhere along the highway in southern France, back in 1970, in the days of the almighty dollar. It was a prix fixe meal, and there was only one main dish -- steak -- but you had choices in appetizers, side dishes, and dessert.

I had an immense artichoke, steak (very nicely cooked), and pasta, and the salad, served on a large tray for everyone, was sliced tomatoes (of a deliciousness I hadn't tasted in the US for years) with green pepper and onion rings, and olives, topped with olive oil and lots of fresh basil leaves. Fruit and cheese topped it off, and it cost all of $.90. Amazing! I guess those days are gone.
Jerek   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 23:24 GMT
Frances   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 23:35 GMT
"Well, sometimes the most unappetizing things can be delicious. In Russia, I saw a plate of something that looked like linoleum paste, that turned out to be sunflower seed halva. It was yummy."

I grew up with halva and love it. I got my husband on to it and his brother. I thought it always tasted a bit sesame seedish. I've always presumed it was a Turkish dessert originally because they tend to use a lot of sesame seeds in their desserts/pastries eg baklava.
Deborah   Wednesday, June 01, 2005, 03:07 GMT
Frances, are you talking about halva that IS made of sesame seeds (the only type I knew until I went to Russia), or do you mean you thought that sunflower seed halva tasted a bit sesame seedish?
Kirk   Wednesday, June 01, 2005, 03:55 GMT
Whoa! This post has really ballooned!

I agree, andre in south africa seems to have been cursed with several horrible food allergies...that sucks not to be able to eat dairy products or tomatoes!

I have a couple friends who are actually allergic to corn (maize) and anything made from it, which is a LOT of things, because corn syrup is used everywhere. It's a constant hassle for them to avoid any products that they suspect *might* have traces of corn or corn-derived products in them. I think that's one of the worst allergies someone could have.
andre in south africa   Wednesday, June 01, 2005, 07:08 GMT
Ah It's not really that bad, Deborah and Kirk ;)

I hate tomatoes, so it doesn't bother me not being able to eat it... use it as an excuse actually. As for dairy products, I'm OK when I don't eat too much of it or eat it every day ;)

Besides, as long as I can eat meat, chicken and fish, I'm happy!!
Deborah   Wednesday, June 01, 2005, 07:13 GMT
andre, I hereby withdraw my pity.
andre in south africa   Wednesday, June 01, 2005, 07:24 GMT
Deborah withdraw your pity and shove it up your fat ass. :P
Travis   Wednesday, June 01, 2005, 07:33 GMT
I presume the above post is not by the real andre from south africa.
Kirk   Wednesday, June 01, 2005, 08:07 GMT
<<andre, I hereby withdraw my pity.>>

Me, too. I love tomatoes...especially if they're fresh and just ripe. Not the squishy flavorless kind.

<<I presume the above post is not by the real andre from south africa.>>

I would presume the same.