What to you call marijuana in your country

Cheech   Monday, June 06, 2005, 06:34 GMT
"marijuana" above should be "possession of marijuana"
Brennus   Monday, June 06, 2005, 06:51 GMT
Travis,

Maybe you are not a world traveler but if you are take heed. Remember Paul McCartney getting arrested in Tokyo in 1980? He was carrying a bag of marijuana in one of his his suitcases. When a Japanese customs agent spoted it and asked what it was McCartney replied "some hemp for my smoking." For more on the story see the following MSNBC article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5121163

Getting back to languages a little bit, I have always thought that the Chicano or Mexican Spanish word for 'marijuana' grifa, was kind of funny. I've read that it is probably a corruption of an older American English word for marijuana cigarette 'reefer.'
Kazoo   Monday, June 06, 2005, 06:54 GMT
Is it just me, or does it seem like Brennus has become more combative lately?

If you're having some kind of troubles, don't take it out on people who don't deserve it.
Travis   Monday, June 06, 2005, 06:54 GMT
Brennus, the main thing is that much of that much of this is just because of the US's "drug war"; of course, those responsible for such would be amongst the first to go to the wall, so to speak, were I to get my way, and their foreign collaborators would be amongst the next, but that's another story. I have no reason to whatsoever sympathize with such policies, and no reason to not view that those policies and those responsible for them should be wiped out most completely.
Antonio   Monday, June 06, 2005, 07:04 GMT
"Is it just me, or does it seem like Brennus has become more combative lately? "

...or you guys more ignorant
Brennus   Monday, June 06, 2005, 07:05 GMT
Kazoo,

It's just you.
Travis   Monday, June 06, 2005, 07:09 GMT
Antonio, and what reason do you have to believe that per se?
Antonio   Monday, June 06, 2005, 07:13 GMT
The reason is I'm a stupid loser.
Damian   Monday, June 06, 2005, 07:23 GMT
<<what reason do you have to believe that per se?>>

Per se.......I repeat..it IS mostly Americans who use that expression!!...we briefly touched on this topic in another thread. I hear Americans use it a lot when being interviewed or reporting in the British media, whereas Brits themselves rarely seem to use it. That's my observation anyway.
Frances   Monday, June 06, 2005, 07:28 GMT
Damian - I ocassionally use it
Kazoo   Monday, June 06, 2005, 07:36 GMT
<<Kazoo,

It's just you. >>

K, thanks.
pedro   Monday, June 06, 2005, 07:46 GMT
So according with "kazoo" who seems a paranoid mind:

<<<<<<<<<"Is it just me, or does it seem like Brennus has become more combative lately? "

It's just you. >>

K, thanks. <<<<<<<<<<<

According with <<Fanatics are:

marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea;>>"

Priests,Politician, and many devotees are named Fanatics

I think you are a Paranoid sufferer...
Travis   Monday, June 06, 2005, 07:48 GMT
My question, Damian, is does that really matter in itself? Why do various British people seem to care that Americans don't necessarily use the same words, or grammar, or whatever, as they tend to use?
Snipsa   Monday, June 06, 2005, 07:54 GMT
I agree with Travis on this. I don't see why some people worry so much about another countries language. It is understandable that languages will change over time. If you look at all contributing factors, like the distance between the two countries, other countries that also speak English etc. it is quite remarkable that British and American English has stayed as "close" to each other as it has.
Travis   Monday, June 06, 2005, 08:00 GMT
Of course, the thing is that written American and British English are generally very, very close together, all things considered. Little things like "per se" are insignificant in this regard. Even the formal spoken languages have not changes that much. What has diverged much more significantly is the informal spoken language, but of course such is not very noticable in a medium like this one. That said, I myself just haven't run into that many people from the UK specifically in "Real Life" to actually know how much understanding they'd have of the English that I generally speak on an everyday basis.