Finnish Dutch Orange connection?

Jo   Thursday, June 09, 2005, 21:06 GMT
Oranges abounded in the mediterean long before any-one there had even heard of China. It is likely that the Arabs introduced them along with the irrigation systems.
Richard   Friday, June 10, 2005, 06:27 GMT
I know in Puerto Rico they say <Dame un jugo de china> and it means <Give me orange juice>. My mom, however comes from Guatemala, and she says <¿Me das un jugo de naranja?> or <Would you give me some orange juice?>. Apparently apples, oranges, and China all have something in common.

Also

"A norange" becomes "An orange".

Norange ~ Naranja ?
Frances   Friday, June 10, 2005, 06:57 GMT
"It gets stranger, pineapple is ananas"

That's because the scientific name of pineapple is Ananas comosus. Even Balkaners call it Ananas! I'm sorry, there isn't a Dutch-Finnish Ananas connection.

And tangerine is i think a cross between an orange and mandarine, so obviously in Finnish the tangerine hasn't been distinguished from the manderine.

Sander - anyway, don't the Dutch call most imported exotic fruits something + appel?

Now I want to know why in English the pineapple is called pinepple!!

Here's a strange one plavi paradajs - blue tomato = eggplant in my native tongue.
Joaquin   Friday, June 10, 2005, 07:25 GMT
<<Oranges abounded in the mediterean long before any-one there had even heard of China. It is likely that the Arabs introduced them along with the irrigation systems.>>

That could be. But according to one website...

"the orange is a native of Asia, but the region of its origin is still involved in controversy. Some historians say that citrus plants may have come out of the eastern part of Asia, in the regions which today include India, China, Bhutan, Burma and Malaysia.

The trajectory of orange through the world is not well known. According to most researchers, it was taken from Asia to North Africa and, from there, to the South of Europe, where it would have arrived during the Middle Ages. From Europe it was brought to the Americas during the time of the discovery of the New World, around the year 1500."

http://www.abecitrus.com.br/histous.html

FYI: In the Philippines, we have several names for oranges - naranghita/dalanghita (Mandarin orange), dalandan (a Mandarin orange with green skin), kahel (sweet orange), and sintunis (a type of Mandarin or tangerine - I don't know if "sin" has any connection to China though)
Sander   Friday, June 10, 2005, 12:51 GMT
=>Sander - anyway, don't the Dutch call most imported exotic fruits something + appel? <=

No,we usually adopt the local name.

I only can think of these 2,

Aardappel = (Litt. Earth apple) Potatoe.
Sinaasappel = Orange
Damian in Edinburgh   Friday, June 10, 2005, 14:08 GMT
Orange is the one word in the English Language which does not rhyme with any other.
Fredrik from Norway   Friday, June 10, 2005, 15:20 GMT
Frances.
I suppose pineapple is called so because it looks like a big apple with skin somehow like the bark of a pine-tree!

Sina is China. How else would you explain "sinesology" and the Sino-Tibetian language family?
Frances   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 09:19 GMT
Damian - I'm sure there others that don't rhyme with other words - eg what does "zoologist" rhyme with?
Lazar   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 20:13 GMT
<<Aardappel = (Litt. Earth apple) Potatoe.>>

That's just like the French term "pomme de terre".
Bob   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 21:21 GMT
<<Orange is the one word in the English Language which does not rhyme with any other.>>

If you're ever in a loss for a word to rhyme with 'orange', try 'Blorenge', a mountain in Wales.

http://www.abergavenny.net/gallery/blorenge.php

Or, you can modify your pronunciation to uh-RANJ to force a rhyme with 'sporange'.
Frances   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 23:12 GMT
Off memory, a pomme is a fleshy fruit. I remember the word from university Biology, which is now many years ago.