Do you pronounce ''world'' with one or two syllables?

Sander   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 19:58 GMT
Im a disaster with Xsampa could you give examples with words?
Lazar   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 20:04 GMT
In English, when [l] comes at the end of a syllable (as in "world", "bell", "ball", etc), it is pronounced more in the back of the throat than a normal [l]. Does Dutch do this (in the world "staal", for example)?
Sander   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 20:46 GMT
Well,when you pronounce the L in staal,your tongue touches your upper teeth. And its more of a 'ulll" sound.
Sander   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 20:47 GMT
Come to think of it, you allways touch your teeth with your tongue with a Dutch L ;)
Lazar   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 21:05 GMT
Thanks.
Sander   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 21:06 GMT
No problem.
Kirk   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 21:39 GMT
Yeah, as you could probably tell, the "Kirk" on the previous page was not me.

<<A similar thing happens the word ''parrot'', it ends in ''ot'', so some people mistake themselves as pronouncing it to rhyme with ''rot'', when in reality they use a schwa sound in the word as it's usually pronounced.>>

Maybe, but Don, as others have commented, you're making some assumptions based on only a certain set of English dialects in your statements. I've actually never heard "parrot" that way, for instance--here it's universally /pErIt/, which is how I pronounce it.
Travis   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 22:46 GMT
I myself pronounce "parrot" as /"perIt/ --> ["p_he.r\I?], which differs from Kirk in that the /e/ - /E/ - /{/ neutralization before /r/ in this case favors /e/ rather than /E/.

And yes, Don, you seem to very, very often make many assumptions about English in general based on a very limited set of dialects, many of which, say, many North Americans are not likely to be familiar with.
Don   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 02:45 GMT
''And yes, Don, you seem to very, very often make many assumptions about English in general based on a very limited set of dialects, many of which, say, many North Americans are not likely to be familiar with.''

No I don't. When did I ever say that everyone pronounces ''world'' as two syllables? I don't remember ever saying that. You seem to think that I'm saying that everyone has the same accent as me. I'm not saying that at all. I know that there are some dialectal difference in the pronunciations of certain words.

For example:

I pronounce ''lever'' as /liv@`/, but I'm not saying that everyone pronounces it that way. I know that there are some people that say /lEv@`/.
Travis   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 07:49 GMT
Don, I was speaking in general, not just with respect to the individual case of the word "world". For example, in the case of "nappy" versus "diaper", and like.