U.S State Songs

zarafa   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 02:58 GMT
budget song = low-budget song
George   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 03:21 GMT
You are lucky we have to sing 'God Save the Queen' before our National Song. :(
Judas   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 10:29 GMT
how ? can you explain ?
Joel   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 11:25 GMT
Well its the same here. New Zealand is still part of the United Kingdom interms of our Head of State is the Queen Of England.

The two national Songs in New Zealand is 'God Save the Queen' and 'God Defend New Zealand' we only had the England National Song as our only one til 1971 when our parliament declared 'God Defend New Zealand' equal status to 'God Save the Queen'.

The same can be said of Australia, Canada and others.
Damian from Edinburgh   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 13:34 GMT
"God Save the Queen!"

Oh wow!

GEORGE: Who says we HAVE to sing that dirge? I've no interest in pleading in song for the Almighty to "save" one individual from some undisclosed fate. How can you call that a NATIONAL anthem? Even the tune is minging...drawn out and dreary.

If the English really want a stirring anthem why don't they change it to "Land of Hope and Glory"? That's got much more about it in musical and national patriotic terms, and isn't just a cry to protect and preserve a monarch.

GSTQ isn't played in Scotland anything like to the same extent as it is in England...here we are much more likely to sing "Flower of Scotland" or "Scotland the Brave" with much, much more passion and vigour.

Some of those American State songs were fantastic and so lively. I loved the NEW JERSEY one. Interestingly, the State Song for IOWA (Iowa! O Iowa!) is the same tune as for the German "O! Tannenbaum!" No surprise there at all, bearing in mind the origin of many of its people.
Chelsea   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 09:07 GMT
Bubbler, I was unable to open your link... for the wisconsin st. song
Hell   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 12:20 GMT
<Land of Hope and Glory>

The British are such a proud people that they think its to similar to 'land of the free' which is American LOL
Damian in Scotland the Brave   Sunday, June 12, 2005, 13:38 GMT
Well anything but anything is better than God Save Lizzie and that's for sure. Anyway, while we're on that tune, don't the Americans use it as well as some sort of anthem?