How many languages should a well-educated man speak?

jack   Friday, June 10, 2005, 13:46 GMT
I think at least two and one of them should be English. It concerns people from non English-speaking countries of course.
€U-ropean   Friday, June 10, 2005, 13:58 GMT
well, #3 languages at least...
Jose   Friday, June 10, 2005, 14:01 GMT
That depends where you live and on your profession. If you live in China for example you only need to know your major dialect.
€U-ropean   Friday, June 10, 2005, 14:16 GMT
Not in Continental Europe mate !

If you're an active business man or job-migrant you got to speak 3 languages at least!!!
Gjones2   Friday, June 10, 2005, 14:29 GMT
At least one.
Sander   Friday, June 10, 2005, 14:31 GMT
Yeah 1 is definately the minimum ;)
Wilhelm   Friday, June 10, 2005, 15:08 GMT
One.
Jose   Friday, June 10, 2005, 15:16 GMT
I'm not your mate. Get yourself a partner!
Gjones2   Friday, June 10, 2005, 15:29 GMT
Of course it depends on where you live and what your interests are. I can speak one foreign language and read a good many others, but if I didn't have interests that caused me to use them occasionally, I could get along fine just with English (in South Carolina, USA).

Ben Jonson dismissed Shakespeare's knowledge in this area as "small Latin and less Greek", yet I'd consider Shakespeare educated and one of the great geniuses of literature. I suppose it was with the Romans, who usually needed to learn Greek in order to be considered educated, that this idea of knowing a foreign language became identified with education. Then, of course, for centuries afterwards Western Europeans who spoke different languages learned Latin to become educated (adding Greek sometimes after the Renaissance).

Shakespeare and few others, though, show what can be accomplished just with one's native language. With the abundance of translations now (especially into English) there's less need for learning foreign languages (though, of course, knowing them helps). I'm speaking of a liberal arts education. If people have jobs that require speaking foreign languages, then obviously they're going to have to learn them. Most of what's really important in the human intellectual legacy of past ages, though, is available in translation (for English speakers, anyway).

Please don't get the idea that I'm hostile to foreign languages. I like them myself and encourage people to learn them (if they have the need or interest). I just don't believe that it's necessary for an English speaker to know them in order to be considered educated.
Gjones2   Friday, June 10, 2005, 15:34 GMT
>Yeah 1 is definately the minimum ;)

That's what I meant. :-) The question asked for languages, not foreign languages.
Gjones2   Friday, June 10, 2005, 15:52 GMT
'In the human intellectual legacy of past ages' should have been 'in the human intellectual legacy'. The legacy that we have now has to come from past ages (there's not much chance of finding any from future ages :-).
Sanja   Friday, June 10, 2005, 16:15 GMT
Well, the more - the better, but at least English.
Damian in Edinburgh   Friday, June 10, 2005, 16:16 GMT
**How many languages should a well-educated man speak?**

Roughly as many as a well educated woman should, I reckon. As someone has already stated, it all depends on your circumstances and location in the world. If in EUROPE, then I guess as many as possible...again depending on location.
Cro Magnon   Friday, June 10, 2005, 16:24 GMT
In the US you can still get by with just English. But additional languages are useful if you travel to places where they don't speak English like France, Mexico, or California.
Linguist   Friday, June 10, 2005, 17:12 GMT
what does it mean "a well educated man"? is there any standard? a man can clean toilets but he can also read Shakespeare and know long poems by heart....i know some people without high education who are more intelligent then "white collars" and they could achieve quite a lot.