How to make it clear

Please Help and I need your suggestion   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 04:44 GMT
Hi

I am from India and I have major draw back.When I talk I am too fast.I am trying to reduce that but it is very hard for me.Sometimes I couldn't express what I think and I miss I want to tell.Recently I noticed I am using repeated words again and again.I will start a topic and I can't continue with what I think and people never gets the message.I don't know and I feel so bad myself.

I want to express what i think.May be because of my orgin I couldn't express sometimes.I need help

Cheers

krish
Gabe   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 05:12 GMT
Well judging from your written post here, your English isn't perfect, but the content is understandable. Just slow down, I guess, to make sure they get every word.
Gjones2   Saturday, June 11, 2005, 13:03 GMT
I may be totally wrong about this, but I get the impression that your problem has more to do with emotion than with language. If you're very excited or nervous when you speak, you'll tend to speak quickly and stumble over words. If that's true, then one thing that may help is practicing speaking when you're bored.

One way to do that is to talk to yourself. Of course, make sure that you're alone, and nobody can hear you. :-) (Also I wouldn't recommend doing this for very long because there's a danger that it will become habitual, and you'll start to "think out loud" when people are around. You want speaking more slowly to become habitual but not speaking to yourself.) One way to practice would be to make a list of questions having to do with the types of things that you often talk about. Also include non-questions, just ordinary comments that somebody else might say, and to which you would be expected to add comments or questions of your own. Then -- bored -- because practicing by yourself will be boring, try speaking slowly and clearly. Demosthenes, the ancient Greek, supposedly overcame a speech impediment by practicing alone. He went on to become Greece's greatest orator.

Talking well to yourself is just the first step, though. The next step would be to find some relatively non-stressful situations in which to practice with people, preferably persons whose opinion of you won't matter very much -- and, ideally, boring persons. Don't act bored yourself, though. Try to act interested and friendly, but not excited. As much as possible be calm and under control. Don't feel that you need to fill every moment with speech. Let a little silence occur between responses. Because you're not excessively concerned about the outcome, there's a good chance that you'll gradually become better and better at speaking the way you wish to speak.

As you get better, you can practice in situations in which the outcome is more important to you. You'll then have more confidence because you know that your skills are better. Over time I would expect that you can improve a great deal this way (that is, if your problem is mostly emotional). Even if the problem is more linguistic, trying to find less stressful ways of practicing, and then gradually increasing the stress may still help.