How to understand movies, tv...

John   Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:24 pm GMT
Hello, I've got a problem, so I hope you can help me. I watch movies a lot. But the problem is I can't understand everything. How to improve my listening skills? I think they're talking too fast. Is it possible to understand everything if I'm not native speaker? When I turn english subtitles on I understand everything. I mean I hear the movie and see the text, there isn't any problem. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
Milton   Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:24 pm GMT
It's not only listening skills. Try watching a movie/soap opera with subtitles in your own language, and try writing down everything you hear. When you learn 90 % of the most frequent expressions, phrases and slang words, then try watching with no subtitles at all.
Dave   Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:23 am GMT
I find the problem with subtitles, regardless of language, is that they leave out some of the minor parts of the dialogue.

When I watch movies in French I have trouble understanding because they are talking "too fast" or "too softly" for me to understand as well. I'm sure you're doing a good job listening.

Although I'm certain my French comprehension is nowhere near the level of your English!! - this is what has helped me: I focus on what I do understand easily, the intonation of the dialogue and the context in which it's used, and try not to translate everything. If I don't understand something, I rewind and turn on the subtitles. If it's slang I don't understand, I research it online, to see it used in context - for example, in somebody's blog (I find that better than looking up a translation).