Accent in Washington DC and Metropolitan areas

Estel   Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:34 am GMT
Hi everyone.

I've always wonder what (an) accent(s) in the capitol of the US and the surrounding areas (aka Arlington, Alexandria, etc) sound(s) like.

Does it sound southern like the deep south? Is it a cot-caught merged accent? Like, what are typical of the accent? Does anyone have an answer?
Skippy   Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:58 pm GMT
Typically, from college students and professionals you're going to get a relatively neutral accent with an influx of Southern terms (ya'll, etc.).

The city is overwhelmingly African-American, so a good amount of AAVE as well, but I'm not sure which version of it.
guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:03 pm GMT
I was born and raised in Alexandria, Va. right outside DC. On trait I notice a lot, and which I use as a identifying factor of people from this area, is the pronunciation of -ing. People from around the VA/DC/MA area say -en with clear enunciation on the 'e'

I'm singing = I'm singEn

I now live in NC, and people here would pronounce the same as

Ah'm singin'
Guest   Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:17 am GMT
''I now live in NC, and people here would pronounce the same as

Ah'm singin'''

In Oregon, it's I'm singeen.
Guest   Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:00 am GMT
SingEn... now thats interesting. Would you care to submit your voice sample from Alexandria?
guest   Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:51 pm GMT
<<,Would you care to submit your voice sample from Alexandria? >>

Uhhh-, do I have to? :|)
Jasper   Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:25 pm GMT
Like Skippy says, the people in DC seem to have a hybrid accent, i.e., General American with some Southern features.
Guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:31 am GMT
Oh, you dont have to... it was just a suggestion.
guest   Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:19 pm GMT
<<Oh, you dont have to... it was just a suggestion. >>

: )