Share your English-learning with me as a non-native speaker

Jones   Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:13 am GMT
Hi,everyone
I come form Taiwan,but not Thailand.Have you ever heard anything about this country before? To be specific,Taiwan is neighboring China across Taiwan strait.
As a non-native speaker.how do you learn an unoffical language?
Have you guys been to English-speaking countries before?
If so,did you commounicate with the local(native speaker) using an fluent English or not?
Or you still had the hard time communicating with the local in English.
If you could share your experience with me, I will appreciate you a lot.
Last but not least,I hope you enjoy learning English.

Peace out!
Xie   Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:31 pm GMT
If you aren't faking a Taiwan Chinese person, well...I'm glad that your country has just have yet another democratic election.

I've never been to an Anglophone country but I learnt English as an official language. I'm fairly conversational, though my active vocabulary is rather limited. I'm still fighting against mistakes I'd make when everyone around me makes loads of mistakes.

It may be difficult to contact native speakers, but this is a natural thing anyway. After reading what antimoon webmasters wrote, I'm now focusing on input and not hurrying to talk to native speakers impulsively (well, in fact, I just don't have the time).
Jones   Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:40 pm GMT
Finally,there is someone who responded to my question.
Honestly,I do come from Taiwan.Thanks for your response.
I am a student in graduated school.but there is one thing that surprised me.How come you care about what happened in Taiwan.
Beacuse most of Taiwanese people don`t care about what happen around the world,but you do.Taiwan dose is a democratic country.
I have one question for you,is it necessary that you have to care about the international affairs? No offence,but I am eager to know.
Thanks again.
Xie   Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:52 pm GMT
The problem is that your text looks chaotic.... I'm being too nervous, but spam messages often look like that. Just like what I'd say to someone else who learns English and wants to get advice here, I think it'd be good for you to read thoroughly what our webmasters wrote about learning (English), which I think is pretty good for most starting learners. I don't know our webmasters, but I buy their method, so... it's kind of like an AD, but I've really been recommending this site to some acquaintances.

I tend to get off the topic very easily, but... well, I like to add something political or philosophical here, but I'm afraid I shouldn't be discussing those matters anymore.

Do ask practical learning questions here when you have doubts, and don't forget to read and search for posts. :)
Guest   Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:05 pm GMT
Why is it so hard for people to learn that after a comma or a period there comes a space?
Guest   Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:55 am GMT
I thought it was two spaces after a period.