Fife accent

Simon   Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:23 pm GMT
Hi
Can anyone tell something about the Fife accent, especially about Dunfermline accent if there is such a thing?

Thanks in advance
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:11 pm GMT
Switch your audio system on, click on any of the links and listen to some lads from Dunfermline - the accent is typical, immediately identifiable as Fife to us just across the other side of the Firth of Forth here in Edinburgh. From the top of a hill near my home I can see Dunfermline in the distance across the water and over the two Forth bridges if it's clear enough, especially the tower of the old Abbey if the sun is shining on it.

At one time Dunfermline was actually the capital of Scotland ..many, many moons ago, before this city took the honour. It is the home and birthplace of Andrew Carnegie, and the sports and leisure centre in Dunfermline is named after him (an amazing climbing wall there and when I have been there it is for that very reason mainly). Carnegie Hall in New York City, USA, is also named after him, as he emigrated to America and later became the wealthiest man in the world in his lifetime through his amazing entrepreneurial skills. They know how to rake in a penny or two over there in the Kingdom of Fife! (It's official title).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/group/scotland-dunfermline.shtml
Simon   Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:58 pm GMT
Thanks a lot Damian.Great links and lovely accent.
Goodnight to you in Dun Eideann (spelling?).
Guest   Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:23 am GMT
This isn't about Barney Fife? Oh darn! I could have answered that question!