Do Californians have an accent?

Skippy   Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:25 pm GMT
My friends in Germany always gave me and my American friends a hard time because "not only could we not do umlaut vowels, we couldn't do normal vowels" lol. I guess everything was centered or something. Also, as a Texan, I have the pin/pen merger... In other words, when I'm not thinking about it "schoen" becomes something like /SYn/.
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:50 pm GMT
''In addition, many of them (thanks to the California Vowel Shift) are using a more rounded vowel in their merged LOT/THOUGHT set. ''

Rounded vowel in Lot/Thought is seen as ''affected'', used by teenage girls and gays men.
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:52 pm GMT
''In addition, many of them (thanks to the California Vowel Shift) are using a more rounded vowel in their merged LOT/THOUGHT set. ''

Rounded vowel in Lot/Thought is seen as ''affected'', used by teenage girls and gay men.
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 pm GMT
All Americans derive from black slaves so every american has at least one black people in his heritage. This black origin could affect pronunciation.
Anyway they are not European. Australians are the same.
The climate also influenced them. It's possible that climate affected their intelligence too.
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
''All Americans derive from black slaves so every american has at least one black people in his heritage. ''

This may be true of Brazilians, but cannot be said of Americans.
US is not a mulatto country...
Skippy   Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:05 pm GMT
My family did not arrive in America until the 1880s. Not only did we never own any slaves, but my ancestors were from Germany and Scotland, and ended up living in enclaves. I really doubt I have any African in me... However, on the German side, one of my ancestors did marry a Native American.
Guest   Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:17 pm GMT
Yes US is a mulatto country but (contrary to Brazil) americans are too bigot and racist to admit it. This racism is due to the british component of them. British are genetically racist and even if they are a small part in the American community their racism is genetically sos trong that also affected the other people. 90% has African ancestors, there is nothing wrong but they don't want to say that
Skippy   Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:05 am GMT
No, the US is not a mulatto country. The United States has had very little interracial mixing considering the US's history. There's nothing wrong with it, it's EXTREMELY likely that there's some African-American in my ancestry, and if you go back enough thousands of years I probably have Arab, Hebrew, Slavic, Chinese, etc. By the way, if you want to talk about racism/bigotry:

"British are genetically racist"
"Their racism is genetically so strong that also affected the other people"
"It's possible that climate affected their intelligence too"
GG   Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:31 am GMT
"British are genetically racist"
"Their racism is genetically so strong that also affected the other people"
"It's possible that climate affected their intelligence too"

Unfortunately it's the truth. There are uncountable proofs about that: it's history not inventions
Guest   Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:43 am GMT
Yes, but the most ignorant and savage racists are the germans. We have to prevent that this evil race spreads in the world
Ed   Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:41 am GMT
Only a select few Germans were guilty in the Halocaust. Don't blame the actions of a few on a whole people group.
Guest   Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:14 am GMT
<<Yes US is a mulatto country but (contrary to Brazil) americans are too bigot and racist to admit it.>>

Only a non-American could believe this.

Possible African-American blood is easily detected in a DNA test, anyway.
Guest   Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:10 am GMT
Only a select few Germans were guilty in the Halocaust. Don't blame the actions of a few on a whole people group.

Are u durnk??? few??? are you German right? As usual you try to hide the truth. German are 90% racist and violent: it's in their DNA.
Guest   Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:30 am GMT
<<it's in their DNA>>

Then it's in yours too. There is much greater genetic variety between individuals than between races.
Guest   Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:09 pm GMT
Are u trying to offend me? I have not a single gene of f**ing filthy german. Their obscene and horrible language was banned here, do u think it's a case? We must keep away that evil ethnic group.
Am I racist? Maybe, but only towards racists.