Which part of the USA does my (American) accent come from?

Flower   Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:57 pm GMT
Hello,

Where would you place me on a US map according to my accent?
Here is my speech sample:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a3842829.html

Levee   Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:34 pm GMT
Are you black (if that's not an offensive question)?
Flower   Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:46 pm GMT
No, I'm as white as possible. LOL
So what about my accent?
Guest   Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:57 pm GMT
You don't sound like a native speaker.

I'd say you're a European who has picked up some Southern influences in her speech.
Levee   Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:05 pm GMT
OK, then a more basic question: are you a native?
If you are, then you're definitely somewhere from the Deep South, probably New Orleans.
But basically you sound like a black person from the South.
South = "Virginia, The Carolinas, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, and parts of Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Oklahoma."
Levee   Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:07 pm GMT
Ah, and my first impression was that you're a non-native with the above influences. The rythmic and intonational patterns of your speech are unlike any American accent.
Flower   Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:16 pm GMT
No, I'm not a native speaker.
I don't want to say my country of origin at the moment, though, because it may influence some people.
Some guys told me it resembled a Texan accent.
What do you think about that?
Levee   Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:24 pm GMT
No, I don't think it's specifically Texan, it's just Southern. If you read a longer passage (e.g. "Comma Gets a Cure"), then it would be easier to decide on such subtler issues.
Earle   Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:37 pm GMT
I would say that your vowels show a lot of influence which most Americans recognize as being pronunciations used by many American blacks. That influence becomes stronger towards the end of your clip. I'd say that you've spent a fair amount of time in the States and you've been immersed in English...
Flower   Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:55 pm GMT
That's really funny, because I'm as white as can be with ginger tones in my hair!
Anyway, that fully illustrates the saying "don't judge a book by its cover."

I'll post the "Comma gets a cure" text in a few minutes.
Tee   Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 pm GMT
Your accent doesn't sound American to my ear.
Sounds like Korean.
Flower   Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:15 pm GMT
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-d01671a1.html

Here is my recording. I recorded this text several times but I seem not to be able to get round some words. Well, it's okay I guess, since I'm not used to reading long texts!

So here you go.
Now, which American accent is it?
cristencia Demba.   Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:29 pm GMT
Hello dear,
My name is cristencia Demba.
My hobbies are reading, music, watching of movies and playing of basketball.
I was impressed when i saw your profile and will like to discuss important matter with you and as well as establishe a long lasting relationship with you.
In addition, please kindly contact me direct with my e-mail address: cristenciademba@yahoo.com
Waiting to hear from you soonest.
With love.
Miss cristencia.
Guest   Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:35 pm GMT
Well, I could tell immediately that English is not your native language. You sound Asian, like Korean or something. I have no idea where that "American" accent comes from because it's not American.
Tee   Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:03 pm GMT
<<Well, I could tell immediately that English is not your native language. You sound Asian, like Korean or something. I have no idea where that "American" accent comes from because it's not American. >>

I agree.
It's not 'Asian' accent, because not all Asian have this accent.
You could call it 'East Asian' accent or 'South East' Asian accent at least.
Her accent is obviously Korean.

I wonder why Korean English learners tend to imitate American accent to sound wierd. It's just hard to catch.