What Languge represents Asia BEST?

mac   Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:07 am GMT
<< Really? Oh don't get insecure just because Spanish is just spoken in Spain and South America. >>

It's funny how (radical) pro-French people have to bring up Spanish even when it isn't the topic of the posted comment. I was talking about French in Asia Dell, not Spanish. I didn't post anything that wasn't true either.

Besides, you are wrong. Spanish is spoken Spain, South America and North America (Mexico, Central America, minority in US). You say "just spoken" to make it seem small, but this is a huge area with a lot of people. You do have a map, right?

<< French is being revived in Vietnam and its presence in Laos is still there. French is now required in HS curricual in Pakistan for your information. >>

Even if it truly is being "revived" in Vietnam, English is still the dominate foreign language there and all over Asia. I haven't heard that about Pakistan, but English is an official language there and is more useful overall. Basically, English trumphs French pretty much everywhere in Asia.

I'm not saying that French isn't important, just that English beats it out almost everywhere in the international realm, a continuing trend since the WWI and II. French still has international importance, but it has simply lost a lot of influence due to English.

<< But you can't deny the fact the French is so strong in Africa and Spanish is rapidly disapperaning in that continent. >>

To show you that I'm looking at everything fairly, I will not deny that fact. Yes, you are right. French is strong in Africa and Spanish has little significance there.
Guest   Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:47 am GMT
<< It's funny how (radical) pro-French people have to bring up Spanish even when it isn't the topic of the posted comment. I was talking about French in Asia Dell, not Spanish. I didn't post anything that wasn't true either.

Besides, you are wrong. Spanish is spoken Spain, South America and North America (Mexico, Central America, minority in US). You say "just spoken" to make it seem small, but this is a huge area with a lot of people. You do have a map, right? >>

Don't use the English language so you have excuse for your French bashing. I know that you're an anti-French hispanic even if you don't accept it.

Just accept that French is spoken in those areas that I mentioned not just English although English triumphs because of the status of US not of UK and the Commonwealth.
Guest   Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:05 pm GMT
It's Russian
mac   Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:22 am GMT
<< Just accept that French is spoken in those areas that I mentioned not just English although English triumphs because of the status of US not of UK and the Commonwealth. >>

US, UK, it doesn't matter and you just made my point for me, thanks.

Yes, I accept that SOME people speak French in those areas, but it isn't "spoken" there as much as the native languages and English, hence making French rather insignificant there.
knewman   Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:34 am GMT
English, Chinese, Russian, Spanish and Arabic are the most representative languages
Mao   Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:01 pm GMT
Spanish .
Warnow   Mon May 19, 2008 12:43 am GMT
<< Chinese,Arabic,Hindi,or Japanese? >>

None of them.

As ironic as this may seem, English is the language which represents Asia best today.
Xie   Mon May 19, 2008 2:10 am GMT
>>Hell, Mandarin doesn't even cover all of China. Hundreds of millions of Chinese can't speak it. Even in the so-called Mandarin speaking regions in the North East, the pronunciation is vastly different from city to city. For all practical purposes, English best represents Asia as you can get by with it just about everywhere.

Well, now I can safely claim that Sichuan dialects are as heavy as Heilongjiang ones. But they sound essentially just two types of Mandarin dialects to my ears. But for natural reasons, Heilongjiang folks and some others, like Hu from Anhui and Wen from Tianjin, speak clearer Mandarin than our Sichuan folks - well, they show up a lot these days...