Why is the French so loathful of English?

Guest   Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:19 am GMT
Why is the French so loathful of English?
Guest   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:05 pm GMT
Past history? (France vs England, in particular).
nico   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:39 pm GMT
i am afraid it it the oippsite my dear, english is full of french words. If you knew a little bet of history you would know why.
Guest   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:50 pm GMT
Maybe we need a clarification of the topic:

1) Why is French so loathful of English?

-or-

2) Why are the French so loathful of the English?

-or-

3) Why are the French so loathful of English?
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:32 pm GMT
England and France are the closest of neighbours, in European terms. Standing on the shores of each country, you can see the other quite plainly across the choppy waters of The Channel / La Manche, very much so on a clear day. At one time Calais actually "belonged" to England. Mary Tudor of England said that, upon her death, it would be possible to see the word "Calais" engraved on her heart. At one time, French was actually the official Language of the English Court, and the English nobility preferred to speak French, rather than the developing English tongue.

The French Language was supreme in Europe, as well as in the higher circles of the English populace.

As we all know, the English Language steadily grew in importance, and once the British Empire had become established, the Language of England spread across the globe (it has long since taken hold here in Scotland, where 98% of the population now speak nothing else but English, or at least our version of it!) Once America had won its tussle with the British and became the powerful nation it now is, then English really did become the main means of communication in much of the world, and when nationals of those countries where English is not the official Language meet nationals of other countries of the same status, then in the majority of cases English is far and away the main means of linguistic communal interaction.

I don't think that its true to say that the French and the English "hate each other's guts" - if so, why have so many English (mostly older)people gone to live in France, and why have so many (mostly younger!) people come to live and work in England (and Scotland for that matter?)

If there is any French resentment I guess it may well be connected with the fact that English has surpassed French in global terms. If there is any English resentment then I guess it can all be put down to the abrupt and outwardly rude attitude (or alleged attitude) of the Parisians! (I've experienced it big time!) And we all know that, like Londoners in England, Parisians are not representative of the people of the whole country.
nico   Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:37 am GMT
Damian in edinburgh,

i think you are totally wrong.

English and French are not the closest of neighbours. This is absolutly wrong. As you said the parisians are not representative of the parisians! It belongs the same with the french people! It is not because the normands are close to the english, the feeling is the same with the other people in France!!

What are you doing with the people form Lille, Dunkerque who are closer to the belgians!
Ot those who are alsacians and are mush closer to the germans!

Or those who are from Lyon, Grenoble, Marseille who feel much closer to the Italians
Or those who are from Nîmes, Toulouse who are much closer to the spanish.

Thsi is exactly the opposite, the french are FAR AWAY from the english who are separated by La Manche.

You speak about things you ignore : the Savoy + Nice + Corsica+part of Provence belonged to Italy.

Alsace belonged to Germany.

Part of North belonged to the flemmish.

ETC ETC

Your view is typically british because you don't have so much neighboors.

So you can't speak from a french point of view, we have frontiers with the Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Italy, Swiss, Spain, Monaco, Andorra, and are separated from the sea with Ireland and Uk.

So as you can see the french don't think only in terms of only 1 neighbour but many others.
And we are not the closest culturally, that would be much more close with Italy (which gave so a lot to our culture) and the Spain.

We don't have any hate against the english.
nico   Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:06 am GMT
At least, why should some french have some resentment because english has surpassed French in global terms?

That feeling is wrong! Every french knows since he is in the age of thinking, that when he is going to Germany, he won't speak french, the same in USA, or many other countries!

So what is that "competition"? There is not such a feeling in France. Everybody does not care about the fact English is spoken all over the world.
That is a thing most of the people are not interested in, or when they are they don't really understand.

I am french and i speak english like many other people, that "cliché" is just "the thing between many others" to help the people forgetting the politic their own politicians are doing all over the world.

Lookj at the french, they don't want to speak english is an easier thing to do insted of speaking about real important things evrybody should know about in UK.

The same happens in France, USA and many other countries of course.
Russconha   Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:19 am GMT
I don't like the French because I lived with one of them for two years and despite the promises of lessons in culture and sophistication plus intellectual conversation, all I learnt in that time was a plethora of French swear words and insults.

As my friend from Glasgow says, 'I'm an educated bigot!!!'
Mind you Nico   Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:05 am GMT
I think your English is not good enough to make you express your ideas clear enough for others to understand you! Some of the sentences you wrote are gramatically confusing, preventing others from undrstanding you properly!
Guest   Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:08 am GMT
french hate english simply becuz they got there ass kicked countless times in history, including incidences in canada and wars in 14-19 century.
K. T.   Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:15 am GMT
Wow! A different font! How did you do that?
Guest   Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:23 am GMT
<<express your ideas clear enough >>

Good english? :)

BTW -- are these just ward 42 characters (taking up two spaces each) from a DBCS/MBCS (or unicode) character set?
Skippy   Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:01 am GMT
The French and English, following countless (and one seemingly endless) wars during the middle ages, came into the Age of Enlightenment as rivals. Their close proximity to one another and linguistic similarities (especially at the time due to English's Old Norman influence, as opposed to simply French) only heightened that status...

The Treaty of Westphalia codified the status quo of the 17th century, and citizens began to identify themselves by nation... During the 18th century, nationalism became an important phenomenon, and was first effectively employed by Napolean.

So, the nationalism of England and France heightened their rivalry as England began to surpass France. Whenever a power transition such as this occurs, the likelihood of conflict is increased. This happened before with (in no particular order) Spain, Portugal, and Holland. However, when England surpassed France, France remained relatively close behind, unlike in previous major power transitions.

Power Transition Theory, gotta love it :-P
greg   Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:29 pm GMT
Skippy : « Their close proximity to one another and linguistic similarities (especially at the time due to English's Old Norman influence, as opposed to simply French) [...] ».

La situation de la paléofrancophonie outremanchaise ne se résume pas au binôme ancien normand—ancien français. Les dynasties royales d'Angleterre ont changé (Normands → Aquitains & Angevins) ainsi que la cohorte de guerriers, lettrés, nobles, clercs et marchands importés du royaume de France.

Skippy : « The Treaty of Westphalia codified the status quo of the 17th century, and citizens began to identify themselves by nation... ».

Bien que, dans le cas de la France, de la Flandre et de l'Angleterre, les ferments annonciateurs du nationalisme moderne soient plutôt à rechercher vers la fin de la guerre de Cent-Ans.

Skippy : « During the 18th century, nationalism became an important phenomenon, and was first effectively employed by Napolean. »

Napoléon n'est malheureusement pas le premier à avoir instrumentalisé le nationalisme et les outrances qui l'accompagnent. Il a en revanche opéré à une échelle jusqu'alors inconnue.
Xie   Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:59 pm GMT
>>BTW -- are these just ward 42 characters (taking up two spaces each) from a DBCS/MBCS (or unicode) character set?

That troll is stealing ideas from me using input methods lol