What kind of accent is posh among young people in the US?

Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 9:16 pm GMT
What islands are you talking about Gabriel?
Gabriel   Mon May 05, 2008 3:08 am GMT
<<What islands are you talking about Gabriel?>>

Your mother's nipples.
Jasper   Mon May 05, 2008 5:45 am GMT
[It is entirely an issue of pride and patriotism,]

It remains a mystery to me why Argentinians would risk the lives of their sons and brothers to attack a barren, windswept rock, that was lost to a foreign power 175 years ago, for purposes of PRIDE and PATRIOTISM.

It just does not compute.

At least, attacking a country for its oil reserves makes some sense.
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 7:06 am GMT
Attaking for Pride or for Patriotism is filthy, but attaking for oil is even filthier. So America is even filthier but Argentina is only filthy.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon May 05, 2008 10:35 am GMT
To most Brits the Falkland Islands are a very remote, very distant group of rocky, bleak, barren, cold, windswept islands covered by coarse grass and grazing sheep - much like the Orkneys and the Shetlands! The vast majority of people here in the UK wouldn't give a hoot one way or the other which country held sovereignty over them, and the Falklands War is now just another page in history. If the present day residents of the Falklands wish to cling on very tenaciously to their British links (all of them hold British passports anyway) then that's cool...good for them.

I won't make any reference here to the conduct of the British, whether perceived as mainly good or bad, over the centuries past as they built up the British Empire as it was, except to say that the entire world would be a very different place today had it not happened, and it could well be a lot poorer for that in many ways, and I don't mean in monetary terms either. The fact that most of us in this particular Forum, from all parts of the world, use the English Language, born and raised and developed here in this island nation, as the tool of communication is further evidence of what the BE has given to the planet.

Vilifying the British for whatever reason is all well and good (probably justifiably so in some instances) but maybe some sense of perspective is required. Much of what the rest of the world now takes for granted, and aspects of life we all see as part of daily life, first saw the light of day in Britain, the list of which is too long to mention here.

As far as I know the record of aggression and inhuman behaviour can be seen to have been far worse in the history of a great many other countries, and I don't believe that the British, even during their most despicable moments, have ever attempted to exterminate en masse an entire race of people, or been guilty of deliberate, cold blooded genocide. Indeed, throughout the history of Europe, right up to the Second World War, and even now in the 21st century from elsewhere in the world, Britain has always been a welcoming haven for refugees escaping terror and persecution in their own homelands.
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 12:23 pm GMT
<< Your mother's nipples. >>

Filthy Argentinian...
Travis   Mon May 05, 2008 2:30 pm GMT
>>As far as I know the record of aggression and inhuman behaviour can be seen to have been far worse in the history of a great many other countries, and I don't believe that the British, even during their most despicable moments, have ever attempted to exterminate en masse an entire race of people, or been guilty of deliberate, cold blooded genocide. Indeed, throughout the history of Europe, right up to the Second World War, and even now in the 21st century from elsewhere in the world, Britain has always been a welcoming haven for refugees escaping terror and persecution in their own homelands.<<

Well, British settlers in Australia were pretty damn brutal in their treatment of the Aborigines, and did manage to actually wipe out the Tasmanians. Whether such can all be chalked up as an actual deliberate campaign of genocide as opposed to just plain old treatment of the natives like animals is another story, but still...
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 4:46 pm GMT
"plain old treatment of the natives like animals"
Although, in times when war is needed, for some purpose; this attitude is induced intentionally. Then it becomes a crime.
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 7:13 am GMT
The Spaniards didn't commit deliberate genocide either, it was disease.
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 7:31 am GMT
<<Vilifying the British for whatever reason is all well and good (probably justifiably so in some instances) but maybe some sense of perspective is required.>>

Take your own advice next time yu take after the U.S.
Wintereis   Tue May 06, 2008 7:40 am GMT
Guest: <<Attaking for Pride or for Patriotism is filthy, but attaking for oil is even filthier. So America is even filthier but Argentina is only filthy.>>

Many nations have engaged in wars over natural resources over the centuries and I dare say that the U.S. will not be the last. I would say, however, that the filthiest wars are faught simply for power and domination, and there are also many of them.
Travis   Tue May 06, 2008 2:12 pm GMT
>>The Spaniards didn't commit deliberate genocide either, it was disease.<<

That and the fact that they made much of the population work practically as slaves in things like gold mines and whatnot. It was after a lot of said individuals died that they decided to bring in Africans as slaves because they did not die while being worked hard as much.
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 2:15 pm GMT
Don't do "the pot laughing at the chimney black" games, ok?
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 2:18 pm GMT
Either the Brits, or the French, or Yankees, or Spaniards are just whores of the same feather!
Skippy   Tue May 06, 2008 2:20 pm GMT
Yankees are people north of the Mason-Dixon line. I'm not a yankee.