how are you?

Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:40 am GMT
is it rude to just say "I'm fine" or "good" and move on?
do you always have to say "thank you" after "I'm fine"?
some native speakers just say "I'm fine" and everything is okay, but when I do that I feel sorry to the other person for being rude for not saying "thank you" after that.....
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:01 am GMT
Aren't you 'supposed' to ask them how they are in return?
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:19 am GMT
many native speakers dont do that either.........................

ahhhhhhhhhhh

i dont know what to do

"thank you"? or "how are you" in return?

some native speakers do both but some just do only one of these.........

whats right
kim   Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:56 am GMT
I usually say that "I am fine" and ask them in return
"How about you?"

Is it acceptable?
Russconha   Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:35 pm GMT
I'm working in a Junior High School Japan and at the beginning of every lesson, the greeting is the same, including 'How are you' - 'I'm fine thank you and you?'

Even if a kid has just broken a leg or is freezing and soaking wet from the rain, the response is always 'fine'.
carm   Sat May 10, 2008 4:46 am GMT
If somebody may ask you "How are you" And they will answer you that " I am fine" I think i am getting tired of it. Its better if we say: I am great, fantastic, incredible, amazing, and unbelievable.
Guest   Sat May 10, 2008 11:16 am GMT
And what if your're not fine, great, fantastic, incredible, amazing, ... ?
Guest   Sat May 10, 2008 11:17 am GMT
At least you don't feel so?
Carm   Sun May 11, 2008 11:09 pm GMT
Well of course tell the "TRUTH" that you are not fine, incredible, amazing, great, and fantastic.
Skippy   Mon May 12, 2008 3:37 am GMT
Even if you're not ok, most Americans would say "fine, yourself?" Unless we're gearing up for a long discussion of our feelings, Americans tend not to bother others with their personal problems.

Of course, this is not always the case, but typically it's the thought process behind saying "fine" instead of "actually, life is really hard right now..."
carm   Mon May 19, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
I don't think so! Life is full of mystery. Nothing hard if you are trying hard to achieve your goal. Just follow your path way and you will be fine.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 11:13 pm GMT
>>How are you?

>>None of your business bitch!
Russconha   Tue May 20, 2008 6:47 am GMT
Man "How are you?"

Woman "I'm fine"

Man "Really? What's up?"
Guest   Tue May 20, 2008 12:18 pm GMT
Skippy Mon May 12, 2008 3:37 am GMT:

<<Even if you're not ok, most Americans would say "fine, yourself?">>

Then the one who asks expects you to tell him a lie!

<<Unless we're gearing up for a long discussion of our feelings, Americans tend not to bother others with their personal problems.>>

So why do you ask? Why do you force others to tell you lies?
Doug Down   Tue May 20, 2008 2:36 pm GMT
It's polite to ask someone how they are. It's also polite to keep the reply brief. Save the details of your medical condition for a doctor. Nothing depresses me more than hearing someone elses moans and groans. I've got enough troubles of my own, thank you.