"church"

Guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:09 pm GMT
Which is correct?

I'm planning on going to the church this Sunday. Or:

I'm planning on going to church this Sunday
Guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:45 pm GMT
"to church" if you're attending the service, and "to the church" if you're going for another reason.
Lazar   Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:03 pm GMT
I think Guest #2 is correct.
Skippy   Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:16 pm GMT
"To church" would mean you're going to worship; to the church implies that whomever you're speaking to knows which church you're talking about.
Guest   Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:02 pm GMT
I agree with Skippy. "Going" to the church could mean several things.

Going to church: worship
Going to the church: going to a specific church. Does not mean that one is going to worship. It could be to pick up your son from the boy scout troop meeting there or in order to vote (a polling place).
Gabriel   Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:55 pm GMT
A similar distinction exists in British English, I think, between:
She's in hospital. (She's hospitalized)
She's in the hospital. (She's in the building)
Rick   Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:59 am GMT
I speak American English and I make the distinction, though it's different from how it's done in British English:

"She's in the hospital" (she's hospitalized)

"She's at the hospital" (she's there for other reasons)
Skippy   Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:43 am GMT
To me "she's at the hospital" means she's there because her husband's a doctor or she's visiting a family member who is IN the hospital.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:06 am GMT
To me, "She's at the hospital" may mean that SHE is a doctor as well (the ground Rick covered) still doing rounds, still seeing patients.
Guest 2   Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:42 am GMT
In response to Gabriel and Rick's comments:

I speak 'British English' and I feel that a statement such as 'she's at the hospital' could imply many meanings which will alter depending on the context the statement is placed in. However, I comprehend the predominant meanings of the following statements (having not been placed in any context) as:

She's in hospital - She is a patient (has been admitted/hospitalised)
She's in the hospital - She is in the hopsital building for other reasons
She's at hospital - This sentence does not make sense
She's at the hospital - She is in the hospital building for other reasons

In response to the original question reqarding church:

I agree with majority of replies.

'I'm planning on going to the church this sunday' - this means you are planning on going to the church for any reason, be it worship or not.

'I'm planning on going to church this sunday' - this usually means you are planning on going to church for worship.

The key word that repliers missed was SUNDAY. As sunday is the most common day for church services to be held, either one of the above statements are correct, but as the word sunday in the statements implies worship, 'I'm planning on going to church this sunday' is the most correct.

Whereas, 'I'm planning on going to the church this tuesday' would be the most correct statement as church servies are not usually held on a Tuesday.

I hope this will help.
Skippy   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:03 pm GMT
If she's a doctor at the hospital you would typically say "she's at work," unless she's in private practice, located away from the hospital, and happens to be there on rounds or in surgery.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:52 pm GMT
That's what I meant- "on rounds". Dr. Thompson (female) is at the hospital (not in the office).