Fluent in Esperanto?

James   Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:10 pm GMT
Has anyone out there actually learned Esperanto to a point where he or she can really use it?

(If you hate Esperanto, or have no interest, please skip this thread--I already understand the views of those who dislike it.)

I ask this because I started learning a few times, but never really continued. Is it really as easy to master as claimed? Does mastering it really help in learning other languages? And most importantly, were you able to use it (spoken, written, reading, travel, etc.) to make the study of it worthwhile?

Thanks.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:54 am GMT
(If you hate Esperanto, or have no interest, please skip this thread--I already understand the views of those who dislike it.)

Sorry.

<< Does mastering it really help in learning other languages? >>

You know what really helps to learn other languages? Actually LEARNING other languages!

<< And most importantly, were you able to use it (spoken, written, reading, travel, etc.) to make the study of it worthwhile? >>

For a language to be of any use in this regard, a decent amount of people would actually have to know it and use it. This is not the case here. Travel? Are you serious? Yeah, go to a tourist office or hotel and try using Esperanto and see what kind of look you get. It will be WTF!

I don't see to appeal to fake languages. You might as well study Klingon.
Sinus Marium   Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:15 pm GMT
I learned Esperanto long ago. I am fluent in Esperanto and I can speak it and write it. All I can tell you is that pronunciation varies from person to person and sometimes it becomes hard to understand someone else. You won't find a lot of people speaking the language, but from time to time you'll hear someone speaking Esperanto on the phone. Don't learn it if you don't need it, some day it'll become more common.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:56 pm GMT
<<Don't learn it if you don't need it, some day it'll become more common. >>

Is it starting to spread rapidly, now?
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:28 pm GMT
<<You might as well study Klingon. >>

Isn't Klingon supposed to be really hard to learn? difficult phonetics, complex grammar and lots of deliberate irregularities?
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:07 pm GMT
OK, one advantage of esperanto; it's easier than klingon LOL
Caspian   Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:19 am GMT
Why bother? Yes, it's a nice idea to have a regular, international language, but if you look at it realistically, the idea will never work, because it has no native speakers.

English is (debatably) the world language - therefore, there is no room for Esperanto.

I'm with the person above - in order to learn real languages, don't waste time learning fake, useless languages which might help you, just learn the language itself!

If you want to learn French, then Italian, there's no need to learn Latin, because French will help you with Italian!