English spoken EVERYWHERE

K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:30 pm GMT
"French is so popular in US why none of you speak in French? Even trollete never uses French appart from a few words or two phrases at most. I want to see those Americans fluent in French in action. Come on , post in French from now on . I only see Greg doing that, and he is French (I guess...) "

French seems like it the the second-most popular language based what's available in bookstores (and not just bookstores in my city.) I speak French, but I usually don't write in it here for several reasons.

a. Puts a wedge between people based on language preference.
b. I have to go to another site to type and paste here because of the various accents in French.
c. I do translate things from French into other languages. I think I've done French to Japanese, French to English, and French to Spanish here in the last year.
d. If you speak French or any other romance language, please feel free to post to me in these languages. If you check my response time, you'll be able to see that at the very least I understand the languages I claim to speak. I don't know all romance languages, but I can read all of the big ones except Romanian. I get about 90 to 95 percent of Catalan.
I don't think this is special. I imagine that it's the same situation for many posters here.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:39 pm GMT
I have also posted (anon) here in French and no one has corrected me, lol.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:40 pm GMT
I'm pretty sure that I've done this in Spanish and possibly German too. I'm not a troll though. I don't want to stir them up on any side.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:33 pm GMT
Just go into Home Depot or Lowe's (in the US), and look around at the signs and labels. As you might expect there's still a fair amount of English around, but the second most popular language is clearly Spanish, with a little French (mainly on packages, not the overhead signs). German is rare or almost non-existent.
Turista Hispano   Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:51 pm GMT
Hola, quiero ir a Miami, Nueva York y Los Angeles. ¿Tengo que hablar inglés, o con español basta?
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:05 pm GMT
I meant that French was the second most popular foreign language after Spanish in the US.

The reason why packaging (like Home Depot) is in three languages is probably because of the French Canadian and Spanish-language markets for certain products.

There are instructions in multiple languages for electronic and luxury items as well as some medical supplies.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:06 pm GMT
Hola, quiero ir a Miami, Nueva York y Los Angeles. ¿Tengo que hablar inglés, o con español basta?

Miami: Probably okay with Spanish
NY: May need some English
LA: Wouldn't be surprised if you got by with Spanish.
Turista Hispano   Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:42 pm GMT
Gracias, muy amable. Thank you, very kind.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:52 pm GMT
I'm only thinking about the Airports for NY and LA. Miami is probably best bet for visitors who only speak Spanish. Bring a phrase book, if you weren't joking.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:22 am GMT
>>If French was the most studied language in US, Colette and the rest of francophile trolls would be spitting their propaganda about how much studied French is in US all the time, but since it's much less studied than Spanish you only reach to say that they study Spanish only for two or three years. What do you think the French students do in the European countries for example? Do you believe that they learn much more than the Spanish students in US? The French government includes in their stupid francophonie every person who studied how to say a few phrases in French as "partially francophone", so it's worthy enough those US students for the Spanish language. If you don't like that the US citizens prefer Spanish over French, fuck off hard.<<

Actually I don't really care. My point is that most people who study Spanish in the United States don't end up achieving any level of fluency in the language. Sorry, but that's reality. To most students, foreign language requirements are a joke and a blow off course. Once they get through their second or third year, they put it out of their minds and focus on other things.

I would suspect that things are different in Europe because speaking multiple languages, especially on the continent, is a necessity. So if you're a German or Italian student who is taking French, there's a very good chance you're going to use that at some point in your life. The same cannot be said of most American students taking Spanish.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:29 am GMT
If you want to communicate with the lower classes in Los Angeles, Spanish will do. For instance, Spanish might come in handy when asking for extra towels or a mint at a hotel in L.A. But anything other than that, you're going to need English unless you get lucky. In New York, forget about it, English is a necessity. You don't speak English there, you miss out on a lot.
Frencisco Castro   Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:41 am GMT
<<Are French tired of their ugly language?>>

No actually the French are sick and tired of the ugliest language of all, Spanish!
G'Day Mate   Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:44 am GMT
<< Just go into Home Depot or Lowe's (in the US), and look around at the signs and labels. As you might expect there's still a fair amount of English around, but the second most popular language is clearly Spanish, with a little French (mainly on packages, not the overhead signs). German is rare or almost non-existent. >>

Go to every major cities in Mexico, Panama, and Costa Rica and you would see signs in English everywhere, proving that these countries are fast becoming anglicised.
G'Day Mate   Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:51 am GMT
<< If you want to communicate with the lower classes in Los Angeles, Spanish will do. For instance, Spanish might come in handy when asking for extra towels or a mint at a hotel in L.A. But anything other than that, you're going to need English unless you get lucky. In New York, forget about it, English is a necessity. You don't speak English there, you miss out on a lot. >>

Actually there Spanish blue collar job workers here in Oz and they're ready to take any kind of work that would be given to them. They won't refuse and in fact they'll beg you to give them a work and even if you tell them that the only job that you can provide them is to clean the toilet, they would take it.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:14 am GMT
Acá en Guatemala un montón de gringos han venido a limpiarnos los baños. Les contamos todo lo que tienen que hacer pero se ponen de acuerdo de inmediato, es como si les gustara este trabajo. No les importa que tengan que limpiar los inodoros con las manos y hasta con la lengua en casos extraordinarios, porque por acá no tenemos esponjas ni trapos.