English spoken EVERYWHERE

Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:34 pm GMT
<<Only very idiot persons >>

I notice that lots of Latin Americans tend to misuse the word ''idiot" in this exact manner, as if it were an adjective.

I assume that this is a cognate in spanish/portuguese, and they are using it the same way they would in their native languages. No?
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:26 pm GMT
Yes , idiota in Spanish can act as an adjective or as a noun:

Eres muy idiota.

El idiota ese me hace reir.
John Adams   Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:17 am GMT
Personally, I'm glad that English is the dominant world language. It gives me the opportunity to learn whatever other language I choose, as opposed to being forced to pick one because of necessity.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:44 am GMT
The same thought French people 100 years ago.

According to David Graddol, an English expert in languages, there will be some 5 dominant languages in the World, with the same status, in the near future: English, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi and Arabic.

So, everybody should study, at least, 2 of them if you want to understand more people and to have an interesting CV.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:11 pm GMT
English, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi and Arabic.

SORRY, NO ROOM FOR MORE THAN ONE INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE. THANK YOU, COME AGAIN!
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:59 pm GMT
<< According to David Graddol, an English expert in languages, there will be some 5 dominant languages in the World, with the same status, in the near future: English, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi and Arabic. >>

Sorry but there are only and will only be 2 global language English and French.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:12 pm GMT
French?

We can speak about French.

A language that WAS official in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Mauritania, Libano, etc and it is Arabic now.

A language that WAS the diplomatic world language, and it is English now.

A language that WAS important in Europe, and it is English now.

A language that WAS very spoken, and it is 17th now. It is the mother tongue of 75-80 million people around the World. It is less spoken than almost all Asiatic languages: Tamil, Tagalog, or Vietname are more spoken than French.

In short, a language that WAS important, and some French people do not want to know.
Colette   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:44 pm GMT
The only two truly international languages are English and French. I'm a germanophile and I can admit that German is not on the same level as English and French in the world arena -- why can't the hispanophiles? Face it: Spanish is only important in Latin America and Spain.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:53 pm GMT
I'm francophile but I admit that French is only spoken in Paris. It's not an international language. Spanis on the other hand is spoken by 1000 millions of people.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:04 pm GMT
<<French is only spoken in Paris. It's not an international language. >>

Tu rigoles...

<<Spanis on the other hand is spoken by 1000 millions of people.>>

Yes, millions in the Third World can't be wrong...
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:10 pm GMT
Yes, millions in the Third World can't be wrong...

What are some Parisian arrondissements if not the third world? Full of arabic migrants who don't even speak French and sharia has displaced the civil law.
Colette d'Allemagne   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:14 pm GMT
<<Yes, millions in the Third World can't be wrong...

What are some Parisian arrondissements if not the third world? Full of arabic migrants who don't even speak French and sharia has displaced the civil law.>>

Yeah, you're right. Let's just go with English, then. haha
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm GMT
Certainly the Hispanic nations are not among the top countries, but I would not call Chile a Third World country either. If someone visited it and got that impression I wonder what the reason is . On the other hand ALL the French speaking countries in Africa are completely underdeveloped, none of them is an exception and can't even be called developing countries because they don't develop at all, on the contrary, they are becoming poorer and poorer without receiving any help from France. For this reason I find obscene that those nationalist frogs call French an international language only because it is spoken also in Africa. They seem to be only interested on the grandeur of their language whithout taking care of the horrible standard of living of those who speak French in Africa.
Colette d'Allemagne   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:24 pm GMT
<<Yeah, it's a lot like corrida.
You just say "French" or "English" and Hispanics come charging like the bulls.>>

Yes, and German too. Basically if it is English, French, or German, they hate you. They forgive you if you are a part of the approved Latin Brotherhood nations of Spain, Portugal, Italy, or any of the Third World Latin American countries.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:27 pm GMT
I consider south France at least as part of the Latin brotherhood. Other parts like Bretagne are more doubtful. There are even corridas in some southern French cities. By the way, Colette, you need a big "corrida" so you stop saying stupidities.