English spoken EVERYWHERE

El Cid   Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:17 am GMT
<< except that I consider France and Canada to be powerhouse countries >>

I agree with you about France, but not so sure about Canada as a powerhouse, but that's just my opinion. Plus, the presence of English in Canada doesn't exactly help French in this situation.

<< I have been a language teacher in secondary schools and college and have been curious about the status of the big three foreign languages in the U.S., i.e., French, German, and Spanish. Spanish has been growing in popularity in the U.S. for years, as everyone knows, but French has been declining while German has been growing in popularity in recent years. You can find this info at the Modern Language Association. >>

Where do you live again? Anyway, yes. In the US the order of popularity is Spanish, French and German. Spanish has most likely climbed at the expense of French over the years in the US, but I wasn't aware about German growing in popularity. I'll have to check that out.

I hope we don't in turn get attacked by aggressive pro-French people for talking about this. (Remember the fanatics here exist on both sides.)
Colette   Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:25 am GMT
Hi El Cid,

I live in New York City, in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood (with some Chinese people down the block). Everyone gets along well here, but I admit that the Chinese people seem to keep to themselves a bit more. I live kind of on the border -- a few blocks away it is mostly white (European-American) and Arabic people. This place is really the melting pot, I tell you...

Ironically, I haven't run into the French fanatics much here -- I don't come here every day, but in spurts when I have time. I know they exist, but I don't know them by name. I hope none of them is uncool to you -- you seem to be rational and you wouldn't deserve it. I admit I am nostalgic about French and have a French bias (I have some French ancestry and no Spanish), but if someone is reasonable like you, I can't imagine being rude to that person.

Do the French fanatics do the same as the Hispanic ones and just sign "Guest"? Maybe that is why I don't know them by name.

Isn't the Spanish-French war one of the greatest in the history of Antimoon? haha
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:50 am GMT
<< Take current UN President for example. Technically French is required, but in reality, it isn't that necessary. >>

Spanish is the one that's not technically necessary in the UN. All you hear speaking Spanish in the UN are those Spaniards and Hispanic Americans while with French besides the French, French Canadians, Belgians, and Swiss, Francophone Africans you could also hear Romanians, Portuguese, Brazilians, Italians, Albanians, Bulgarians and even the Poles.
Le Cid   Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:52 am GMT
<< I agree with you about France, but not so sure about Canada as a powerhouse, but that's just my opinion. Plus, the presence of English in Canada doesn't exactly help French in this situation. >>

It helps a lot. While the presence of the 20 Spanish speaking countries does not uplift the importance of Spanish in international scene.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:11 am GMT
<< Segun el Gobierno español y el Instituto Cervantes, el español es ya la segunda lengua mas estudiada del mundo. Asi que, Colette, si no la consideras internacional, el frances o cualquier otra lengua que no sea el ingles, menos. >>

Of course Instituto Cervantes would come out with the findings that Spanish is the 2nd most studied languages in the world but this all just lie. Wherever you go English is the most popular and second is French almost everywhere. Spanish is second most studied only in the US and even there those who study it are 2nd generation hispanics whose first language is English.

Can you give us the names of those countries where Spanish is more studied than French/German/Russian. Don't tell me that in Poland and Germany Spanish is more widely spoken. Don't rely on that info posted in Wikipedia because it was just posted by hispanic fanfatics like you. Maybe they assume it's because they always heard Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict VI speak Spanish.

The number of native sepakers is not the primary basis to measure the importance of the language but on the accomplishment of it's speakers and that's the factor that Spanish language lack. It's speakers have zero contributions to science, technology, arts, engineering, medecine, literature and other important fields.

And by the way, stop insisting that Chinese will become important because the Chinese are now studying English and to alesser degree Russian, French, German, etc. with wide interest. There's even a prediction it will surpass India in terms of the number of English speakers int the near future. The Chinese themselves admit that their language will never become International because Westerners find it strange and they have to comply with this otherwise their economy would collapse once the innvestment from western countries pull out that made its eceonomy boom.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:17 am GMT
Spanish is more important than French. In international beauty pageants only but you can hardly hear it in sports such as World Football Cup because hispanic countries no matter how they try, they fail to win the cup. Sorry but Italian and Portuguese is more important in this field.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:30 am GMT
Stupid, Argentina and Urugay won many world cups. How many ones did your insignificant and shitty country won?
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:34 am GMT
Dile eso a los brasileños en tiempos del maracanazo
El Cid   Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:02 am GMT
I will be as fair as I can.

<< Of course Instituto Cervantes would come out with the findings that Spanish is the 2nd most studied languages in the world but this all just lie. >>

I will agree with you here. I believe Spanish is the 3rd most studied depending on the situation with German, but I'm not sure. But, still 3rd or even 4th isn't bad when taking about overall world stats. 2nd? No. But you can't deny that Spanish is among the most studied.

<< Spanish is second most studied only in the US and even there those who study it are 2nd generation hispanics whose first language is English. >>

I really hate it when people use this argument, because it is not true. In the US as a whole Spanish is the most popular foreign language, so obviously it isn't only 2nd gen hispanics because they are a minority population. Most of the Spanish students I know are white. And even if these hispanics learn it, what's the problem? That just means that they live in the US, speak English, but also want to speak Spanish.

<< It's speakers have zero contributions to science, technology, arts, engineering, medecine, literature and other important fields. >>

Yes, less then English, German, French speakers. But, I wouldn't go so far to say "zero".

<< And by the way, stop insisting that Chinese will become important because the Chinese are now studying English and to alesser degree Russian, French, German, etc. with wide interest. There's even a prediction it will surpass India in terms of the number of English speakers int the near future. The Chinese themselves admit that their language will never become International because Westerners find it strange and they have to comply with this otherwise their economy would collapse once the innvestment from western countries pull out that made its eceonomy boom. >>

I agree with you here. While Chinese may become more popular or important, I think some people overestimate it's presence in the future. English is popular there, they have quite a difficult language, and they do depend a lot on foreign investment now. These are some hard truths.

<< << Take current UN President for example. Technically French is required, but in reality, it isn't that necessary. >>

Spanish is the one that's not technically necessary in the UN. >>

That wasn't my point. I only meant that specific office. I was trying to show the whenever English and French are side by side, English always wins out. Basically that the only true language for global international communication is English, the rest like French, Spanish etc, are relative depending the situation.

<< you could also hear Romanians, Portuguese, Brazilians, Italians, Albanians, Bulgarians and even the Poles. >>

Yes, but "could" is a big word here. You could also hear them speaking English, German, Italian, and Spanish depending on who is talking to who.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:33 am GMT
>> << you could also hear Romanians, Portuguese, Brazilians, Italians, Albanians, Bulgarians and even the Poles. >>

Yes, but "could" is a big word here. You could also hear them speaking English, German, Italian, and Spanish depending on who is talking to who. <<

What I mean in here is their diplomats chooses to speak in French and to no other languages.
Le Cid   Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:36 am GMT
>> << you could also hear Romanians, Portuguese, Brazilians, Italians, Albanians, Bulgarians and even the Poles. >>

Yes, but "could" is a big word here. You could also hear them speaking English, German, Italian, and Spanish depending on who is talking to who. <<

What I mean in here is their diplomats chooses to speak in French and to no other languages.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:46 am GMT
<< Wannabe-frog pro-nazi mental, you are the only troll on this forum!! A very insane one! >>

Wannabe-HISPANIC DUNG BEETLE mental, you are the only troll on this forum!! A very insane one!
John Adams   Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:57 am GMT
>>I really hate it when people use this argument, because it is not true. In the US as a whole Spanish is the most popular foreign language, so obviously it isn't only 2nd gen hispanics because they are a minority population. Most of the Spanish students I know are white. And even if these hispanics learn it, what's the problem? That just means that they live in the US, speak English, but also want to speak Spanish.<<

This is mostly true. Spanish is the most widely-studied foreign language in the United States. The problem is that most students only study it for two or three years in high school. By the time these kids reach adulthood, they forget most of what they've learned. I wouldn't expect to get more than a few sentence fragments, at most, out of Americans who have learned Spanish in school. Forget about fluency. Foreign language education in the United States is a joke because it's not emphasized as being important, and really, can you blame us?
John Adams   Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:03 am GMT
>>That wasn't my point. I only meant that specific office. I was trying to show the whenever English and French are side by side, English always wins out. Basically that the only true language for global international communication is English, the rest like French, Spanish etc, are relative depending the situation.<<

You're right, it depends on the situation. English doesn't always beat out French. But in practical situations, English usually rules the day against all other languages.

The current Secretary-General can't really speak French that well. Perhaps he is setting a new precedent, because that used to be a requirement for the job. But somehow I suspect that France will be more careful in making sure the next S-G is fluent in French. They'll use their veto power to push their own provincial agenda, like they normally do.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:35 am GMT
"This is mostly true. Spanish is the most widely-studied foreign language in the United States. The problem is that most students only study it for two or three years in high school. By the time these kids reach adulthood, they forget most of what they've learned. "

If French was the most studied language in US, Colette and the rest of francophile trolls would be spitting their propaganda about how much studied French is in US all the time, but since it's much less studied than Spanish you only reach to say that they study Spanish only for two or three years. What do you think the French students do in the European countries for example? Do you believe that they learn much more than the Spanish students in US? The French government includes in their stupid francophonie every person who studied how to say a few phrases in French as "partially francophone", so it's worthy enough those US students for the Spanish language. If you don't like that the US citizens prefer Spanish over French, fuck off hard.