The Longest German Thread Ever

Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:12 pm GMT
Wannabe French or whatever: change CD, please. We have enough of this music. Try to understand that not all people like France, that not all people like French and less people think French is elitist, refined or whatever crap you learn at school.

Less than ever people think all that about Germans, so annoying German/French troll with disturbed identity or whatever you are, stuck a baguette in your XXX, keep some sausages around your neck, dye your hair like a cob, don’t wash yourselves for a month and hammer a horned helmet in your head, then go get drunk in the first pub you come across. In this way you will be happy at last.
Gosh, some people don’t realize when it’s time to stop.
German and French don't need your touristic advertising
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:25 pm GMT
Evidently Baguette wants to convince herself that French and Germans are important because they are the only two languages in which she can spit three words...
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:12 pm GMT
Che discussione stupida. La Francia è uno stato multietnico oramai.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:28 pm GMT
You people are grasping on straws at this point.

"sit'' is 100% anglo-saxon, from Proto-germanic. The base 'sed-' is common to indo-european languages, and not a result of borrowing.

Etymology of sit:

O.E. sittan "to be seated, to seat oneself" (class V strong verb; past tense sæt, pp. seten), from P.Gmc. *setjanan (cf. O.S. sittian, O.N. sitja, O.Fris. sitta, M.Du. sitten, Du. zitten, O.H.G. sizzan, Ger. sitzen, Goth. sitan), from PIE base *sed- "to sit" (see sedentary).

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=sit&searchmode=none

Cat (and all cognates), while introduced into europe through Latin, is not a native latin word, appearing first in LATE latin, and was borrowed from afro-asiatic languages. where the domesticated animal originated.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:30 pm GMT
^^ I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:44 pm GMT
BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA............
Does everyone else want to bla bla?????
Colette   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:53 pm GMT
I want to get pregnant.
Lord Dick   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:03 am GMT
by a frog or a wurst I suppose
JLK   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:59 am GMT
I don't think the French have ever considered themselves to be anything but French. A greater Latin, Germanic, Celtic,etc...identity never gained acceptance. France has always been very distinct culturally. I think Colette is right in that France was never apart of the sisterhood that exists between Spain, Portugal and Italy. So to label France as a Latin country wouldn't be entirely true. It is a unique nation, a wild beast so to say. Let's end this arguing and let the French be French.
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:21 am GMT
Who cares if the French consider themselves latin or not. Probably many of them consider Arabic more than anything else. But as far as I know in Southern France they have a very distinct culture with respect to the North and it's quite latin, for example in Nimes they have bullfightings like in Spain. One can't say that France as a whole is latin or it is not latin, France it's just too diverse despite all of them speak French which is a Romance language anyway.
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:22 am GMT
Haha ha ha ha. The French were never worthy of entering the Latin Club. The French would much happier enter the Arabian club than Latin club. Good luck to them, then, happy Sharia law!
Skippy   Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:04 am GMT
My impression was that the French always identify themselves with the Gauls (Celtic) when in reality, they are more Latin. This would be similar to Texans identifying themselves as Caddo or Arizonans identifying themselves as Yuma or Hopi...
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 am GMT
Funny enough, the French speakers in Quebec consider themselves as "the Latins of the North", according to a promotional campaign of the Government.
Colette   Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:22 am GMT
<<France has always been very distinct culturally.>>

Absolutely -- I don't think they were saying they are Germanic, or Celtic, or anything -- but I don't think they consider themselves to be "Latin." You're right about their being distinct as a people and culture.

<<I think Colette is right in that France was never apart of the sisterhood that exists between Spain, Portugal and Italy. >>

Yeah, I mean really -- apart from the wine thing, I don't see much.

<<It is a unique nation, a wild beast so to say. Let's end this arguing and let the French be French.>>

That works for me, but I don't know if the Hispanic nationalists can let it rest. Remember, the "Latin Family" is at work here... ;)
Colette   Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:25 am GMT
<<My impression was that the French always identify themselves with the Gauls (Celtic) when in reality, they are more Latin.>>

Hi Skippy, this was also my impression when I went over there -- they get royally pissed off if you lump them as "Latin," as I made the mistake of doing. The Asterix stuff is still alive and well over there! I think JLK is right that they are just themselves -- and they would have it no other way.