Is it correct to call oneself a "US American"?

CĂ©line Dion   Wed May 14, 2008 7:07 pm GMT
FREEDOM FOR QUEBEC AND TIBET !!!
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 7:28 pm GMT
FREE LAS VEGAS!
Skippy   Wed May 14, 2008 9:40 pm GMT
I actually heard Tibet is fairly well off compared to the poorer nations of China. I could be wrong. I dunno. It's just what I heard.
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 9:56 pm GMT
Are you joking? Tibet is a fiercely repressed nation by China. They are very poor and their national identity is prosecuted. Other parts of China are also as poor but at least they feel Chinese and are a bit happier.
Skippy   Wed May 14, 2008 11:04 pm GMT
Actually I'm not joking; One of my friends, who is Chinese, told me they're fine and everyone should relax. I don't know anything about the situation.
Guest   Wed May 14, 2008 11:38 pm GMT
Freedom for Beijing!
Guest   Thu May 15, 2008 12:08 am GMT
Actually I'm not joking; One of my friends, who is Chinese,

What did you expect since he is a Chinese?
If he was Tibetan he woud not say the same.
Russconha   Thu May 15, 2008 7:08 am GMT
European cultures have developed through mistakes. If a weaknesses were apparent, it would have been exposed by one of the neighbouring countries.

American culture was formed with a mish mash of peoples escaping so called restrictive cultures to set up in the land of oppurtunity. This helped to create the Wild West and other lawless areas. The problem was, there were no neighbouring countries to keep a check on this or exploit any weaknesses. The Mexicans were too worried about themselves to take any notice and the same with the Canadians.

War breeds technology. Many advances have been made during times of war (fighter planes and the atom bomb in recent generations) and as America constantly seems to be at war with something (Saddam or Iran, bin Laden or the Taleban, Drugs, Nicaragua, Cuba) then it is hardly surprising that somebody here wrote that the Internet and technology etc is American culture.

Culture is like a mouldy cheese, you cannot develop one overnight, it has to be left to go bad before it can come good again.
Guest   Thu May 15, 2008 8:17 am GMT
The internet is not American. It was invented at CERN.
Dude Who Knows   Thu May 15, 2008 8:37 am GMT
<<The internet is not American. It was invented at CERN.>>

Incorrect. The internet is indeed an American invention. The World Wide Web was invented at CERN.
Guest   Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 am GMT
Internet wouldn't be very much without the world wide web.
Dude Who Knows   Thu May 15, 2008 5:12 pm GMT
<<Internet wouldn't be very much without the world wide web.>>

Whatever, you're still wrong.
JL   Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:16 pm GMT
Hi.
I agree that it is a habit for you, US Americans, to call yourselves "americans", a bad habit indeed. ALSO smoking it's a BAD habit, which make it subjetc of erradication, no matter how difficult this could be.
Historically it comes from your Monroe president, who established the "America for the Americans" policy, taking advantage that the rest of the continent was filled with tiny, new and unstable countries, recently freed from Spain. Since then, all around the world the word "America" stands wrongly for your country as if it was the whole hemisphere.
So, keeping that mot nowadays is not only a gesture of extreme arrogance and selfishness and total desdain for the rest of the continent, but also completely anachronical and absurd. Since now, all countries in this big continent are whole independent nations.
By now, I will call you Unitedstatians from now on... Which by the way, could be also unfair, because Mexico for example, its complete name is: Mexican United States. But well... we have to call you somehow, hahaha!
Regards,
JL.
Guest   Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:35 pm GMT
The correct term is usian.
Skippy   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:14 pm GMT
The correct term is American. This prescriptivist PC nonsense is getting out of hand.