Is it correct to call oneself a "US American"?

Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 5:40 pm GMT
Is it: 美國人民?
Please give us pinyin for that.
Guest   Sat May 03, 2008 6:08 pm GMT
nice.
Skippy   Sat May 03, 2008 9:44 pm GMT
You mean how do you say American in Chinese? Even if they call them "estadosunidosians" or whatever that's how they say "American" in their language. "United Statian" might as well be nonexistent in English.
Xie   Sun May 04, 2008 1:00 am GMT
美國人民 (mei3guo2 ren2min2) is quite formal.

美國人 would be the most common, but 美人 is only used for hot stuff.
United Statian   Sun May 04, 2008 3:54 am GMT
<<"United Statian" might as well be nonexistent in English. >>

It looks like "United Statian" is in the Urban Dicionary now, so it must be part of English.
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 8:56 am GMT
In Spain we say americanos to refer to US citizens. Words like estadounidense or norteamericano do exist, but they are far to be colloquial, they are used mostly in the news. The rest of the people are canadienses (Canadians), mejicanos (Mexicans), colombianos (Colombians), etc.

Norteamericano and estadounidense are synonyms. We don't feel the need to state that Mexicans and Canadians are norteamericanos, in the same way as I've never heard that Italians are sureuropeos (South Europeans), maybe people say that in the North, but not here.

In the other hand non English people in the Americas are called sudamericanos. Yes, I know that Mexico is actually in North America, but who cares? I've never seen a Mexican person in my whole life, there are no Mexicans here. I know plenty of people from Argentina, Chile, Brasil, Colombia, República Dominicana, etc., but not a single Mexican. When I said sudamericano I think in Argentina, Brasil and Colombia. The words latinoamericano, hispanoamericano and iberoamericano do exist, but yet again, they are not used colloquially.
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 9:06 am GMT
Yeah, why are the Spanish speakers complaining about 'americano' refering to USA citizens, when they themselves use the term 'norteamericano' to refer to only USA citizens! How come the Canadians aren't protesting at this terrible arrogance! Haha , cos Canadians couldn't give a damn!
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 11:40 am GMT
I am Spanish and say estadounidense in every circumstance, never americano which sounds ambiguous. I've also heard "useño" but it's only used in intellectual circles.
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 4:16 pm GMT
""United Statian" might as well be nonexistent in English"
Those Anglish neologisms don't seem to bother you.
Lo   Sun May 04, 2008 6:44 pm GMT
American means from the United States, period.
What do you care what we call ourselves? If you wanna call us something different, go ahead, call us whatever you want: gringo, yankee, North American, United Statian, USian (by the way how on earth would you read that? /jUS@n/?).
We're still gonna call ourselves Americans, and we're 300 million of AMERICANS.
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 7:52 pm GMT
We're 7.000.000.000, so watch your tongue, we may bitchslap you.
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 8:34 pm GMT
<< We're still gonna call ourselves Americans, and we're 300 million of AMERICANS. >>

Good for you.
Skippy   Sun May 04, 2008 11:21 pm GMT
<<all us whatever you want: gringo, yankee, North American, United Statian, USian>>

Do NOT call me a yankee...
Ed   Mon May 05, 2008 12:57 am GMT
"Do NOT call me a yankee..."

Quoted for truth. You do NOT want to go there.
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 2:53 am GMT
"In the other hand non English people in the Americas are called sudamericanos. Yes, I know that Mexico is actually in North America, but who cares? I've never seen a Mexican person in my whole life, there are no Mexicans here. I know plenty of people from Argentina, Chile, Brasil, Colombia, República Dominicana, etc., but not a single Mexican. When I said sudamericano I think in Argentina, Brasil and Colombia. The words latinoamericano, hispanoamericano and iberoamericano do exist, but yet again, they are not used colloquially."

>>Why do you think you've never seen one? cuz the only Mexicans in Spain (and everywhere except the US) are tourist, Spain only gets South American immigrantes that's why you've seen Argentine, Brazilians, etc.

>>Regarding the North American thing, I think I might as well start calling Germans "Europeans" because I just don't give a shit about the other countries.