language of democracy?

Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 7:36 am GMT
Which is the language of democracy? I think it was English until recently when America became politically unstable and Australia became extreme left-wing. Once China is a democracy the language of democracy will definitely switch to Chinese (and Tibetan of course).
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 10:29 am GMT
China never was democracy and never will be.
Tibetan will disappear soon.
The only genuine democracy was ancient Athene.
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 10:34 am GMT
Women were not permitted the vote in Ancient Athene, is that what you call Freedom?
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 10:45 am GMT
Women should not be permitted the vote anywhere !
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 11:02 am GMT
How about India?
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 1:45 pm GMT
GREEK ??
Democracy   Tue May 06, 2008 2:08 pm GMT
For all who want to know my language
It's

ENGLISH
Skippy   Tue May 06, 2008 2:27 pm GMT
The US is not "politically unstable."

Though I don't mean to be pretentious, the US is the oldest democracy (yeah yeah, Ancient Greece, Renaissance Italy... But those were both either conquered or descended into dictatorship). I'm going to go ahead and say English...
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 2:43 pm GMT
USA is not democracy anymore. See Abu Ghrayb, Guantanamo...
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 2:49 pm GMT
<<the US is the oldest democracy >>

I thought Iceland's democracy was older.
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 2:51 pm GMT
<<USA is not democracy anymore. See Abu Ghrayb, Guantanamo... >>

It never was a democracy. Consider WWII internment camps, slavery, etc.
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 2:54 pm GMT
<<I think it was English until recently when America became politically unstable >>

Isn't instability one of the hallmarks of democracy -- no one party has a monopoly on power?
Democracy   Tue May 06, 2008 6:12 pm GMT
My language is English.
Bombs are quite persuasive
Guest   Tue May 06, 2008 6:12 pm GMT
One person - one vote; no electors! http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=electors&gwp=16
As long as the electors elect US president, US is not a democracy; it's a kingdom.
Skippy   Tue May 06, 2008 7:10 pm GMT
I'm not sure if Iceland's democracy is older. I know they've had the Althing (sp?) since like the 9th century, but I'm not sure if it's always been as politically important as it has been.

The US is a democracy. Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo have nothing to do with our basic political and electoral institutions. Furthermore, our electoral system is simply single member district rather than proportional representation. In a federal nation the size of the US, this is actually more beneficial (and it is certainly democratic). Plus we don't have to deal with people like le Pen or Udo Voigt having any real political power.