is language necessary for cultural identity?

Guest   Thu May 08, 2008 3:21 am GMT
Is it necessary to speak the language of one's original homeland in order to identify with that country? I mean this especially with regard to second generation immigrants (eg Hispanic/Italian/Chinese Americans) who have lived all or most of their lives in a different country. They may or may not have passive knowledge of the language (ie, parents/grandparents). Is passive knowledge enough or does one need to be fully fluent?

I personally find it quite strange that people cling onto their roots for so long, for example, i went round to a friend's place who is of Chinese origin. The whole house is covered in Chinese memorabilia and decorations etc, except he (25yrs) does not speak Chinese nor do his parents (~50s). His grandparents were the original immigrants and yet even they speak to the rest of the family in English and only use Chinese amongst themselves
Skippy   Thu May 08, 2008 4:48 am GMT
In my opinion (this is strictly in my opinion) I would say it isn't necessary, though it is certainly an extremely important part of one's cultural identity.

My dad's family's is all German and my mother's family is all Scottish, but my German is weak and my Scots Gaelic doesn't go beyond "how are you?" Of course, I'm fourth generation on both sides... My dad's father spoke some German when he was younger, but I don't think my mom's father ever spoke Scots Gaelic.
Earle   Thu May 08, 2008 4:52 am GMT
I don't think so. In my area, I know many 2nd and even 3rd generation German-Americans who still identify strongly with their German heritage. I don't think it's unusual or bad in any way. Our mixture of culture is special and unique. Every time I've spent an extended time overseas from the US in what's essentially a mono-culture, I'm always happy to touch down in America and see the diversity of faces. It's what I'm comfortable with and it's one reason I'll vote for Obama... :)
Skippy   Thu May 08, 2008 5:19 am GMT
There's a Hungarian community in Louisiana, but I doubt many of them are fluent in the language.
Guest   Thu May 08, 2008 5:30 am GMT
Оh yeah, I forgot to add the following to the original post:

How are these people seen by the people in their 'root' country? Are they considered 'wannabes'? If you are, say, German, and you meet a tourist from America who speaks no German but is proud of German lineage, what would you think?
Xie   Thu May 08, 2008 9:55 am GMT
I suppose that is stronger with smaller languages...
Guest   Fri May 09, 2008 11:22 am GMT
"How are these people seen by the people in their 'root' country? Are they considered 'wannabes'? If you are, say, German, and you meet a tourist from America who speaks no German but is proud of German lineage, what would you think? "

Yes. Here in Paris I met once an American (very tipical American), who claimed to be French (only one of his great grand parents was, so his family name was french) , but wasn't actually able to speak a word of the language and was under cultural shock for every little national bahaviours, and he show a complete lack of knowlege about the modern life of the country he claimed to belong.
I find that so funny. Of course for everyone of us he was seen just an American, no more french than one whose ancestry would have been English or German.

To answer the original question, I think that knowing fluently the language is an absolute nessecity to belong to a specific cultural group.
all the cultural groups have been defined and homogeized by a common language: Celts, Arabs, hispanics, latins, slavs, etc. all these categories are defined by the language, and not genetics.

that said, to hold an cultural identity is a different story with being aware of it or to like recognising yourself in it. It is common in many modern nations, especially in the US, to claim an identity without really having it.
Guest   Fri May 09, 2008 11:52 am GMT
Sometimes those who don't speak their original language form a new cultural minority identity, half way between the two extremes , eg Chinese Americans. They're not Chinese but not quite American...
K. T.   Sun May 11, 2008 2:43 am GMT
Is it necessary to speak the language of one's original homeland in order to identify with that country?

Probably not, but it's one of the better questions I've read here recently.
K. T.   Sun May 11, 2008 2:49 am GMT
A lot of people are "Proud to be Irish" and wear "Kiss me I'm Polish" T-shirts, but I doubt many of them speak Gaelic or Polish. It's still one's "tribe" in a way.
Guest   Sun May 11, 2008 3:34 am GMT
It is definitely necessary if you want to 'authentically' identify with that culture, ie you feel it is you. If you just want to identify with that culture to be fashionable and individualistic then no you don't need to.

Pretty good question yeah, the only one better I've seen lately was 'the language of democracy'.
Guest   Sun May 11, 2008 10:47 am GMT
"It is definitely necessary if you want to 'authentically' identify with that culture, ie you feel it is you. If you just want to identify with that culture to be fashionable and individualistic then no you don't need to. "

Once again, to "identify" with a culture when you don't hold that culture (been raised in) is just a "wannbeeness" attitude.

Been Irish has nothing to see with being a American person raised in American culture that wear a t-shirt that say "I'm proud of being Irish"...
K. T.   Sun May 11, 2008 11:01 am GMT
In the US, people often go into great detail about their ancestry. Perhaps it would be better to say "I'm (a) Scottish-American." or something along those lines instead of "I'm Scottish." There is sometimes some carry-over of the culture. A Korean-American who knows little or no Korean may LOVE Kim Chee and identify with being Korean because people SEE him as Korean.
Guest   Sun May 11, 2008 11:57 am GMT
They go into great detail because to say I'm an American mens nothing. Their identity is not filled up with being American because America lacks real culture.
Xie   Sun May 11, 2008 12:39 pm GMT
And kimchi is now the symbol of Korea, Korean and the Koreans among disgruntled Chinese when they tirelessly ridicule the Korean cultural megalomania. You can imagine any sort of bashing terms with the word kimchi. Indeed, though I of course know that not every Korean is megalomaniac, the current seem-to-be megalomania I can see from how *some* of them present their history and people is utterly disgusting.

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=pkPOoF7u-oc

The language should pretty be the last I'd want to learn.............euh, no, since they say Jesus Christ is Korean, Christianity is Korean, and everything of the world starts in Korea, it's utterly high time that I learn Korean!

Well, in real terms, I just find it _yet_ another ordinary language that happens to be on the same side of the globe on which I live.