USAn USAer

Guest   Tue May 20, 2008 9:09 pm GMT
<<Ugh... I hate being referred to as a yankee... >>

It sure beats the heck out of being called "Merkins" or "Moronicans", though.
Guesttt   Tue May 20, 2008 9:14 pm GMT
Yes, we get it--America = Hitler = 666 = AMERIKKKA = the heart of evil = Satan = USA.

Annyway. I always found it weird that people from Australia or Spain would use "Yankee" or "Yank" despite having no historical or cultural connection to the term. Rather blind, I'd say.
Guest   Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 pm GMT
Yankee to me has positive connotations: brave people, freedom defenders , the winers of the Civil War.
Guest   Tue May 20, 2008 9:49 pm GMT
<<Yankee to me has positive connotations:>

The people in NYC are proud enough of the term "yankee" to name one of their baseball teams the Yankees.
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 2:56 am GMT
Don't tell people how to call USA Americans in their own language. The standard term in EuroSpanish is yanqui, you see it even in the news.
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 12:38 pm GMT
Yankee is sometimes used in Spain, but the standard word is americano, always has been, at least since this was shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X7srWjn-z4
Bill from Warwick   Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 am GMT
Regarding the word Yankee- it's very funny how it means different things to different people. In the wider world, Yankee simply refers to any American. In America in general, the word Yankee distinguishes Southerners from Northerners. In the North, Yankee means people from New England. And in New England, Yankee refers specifically to the descendants of the first colonists from England!!!!