Some dificulties ...

Laura Braun   Sat May 17, 2008 3:41 pm GMT
OK. I faced several dificulties in pronounciation which made me to feel uncomfortable with my language. I know how to spell the words but what is the profit if I know how to spell them when I cannot use them in the right way. So for example if I go to The big shopping mall and I want soup , but instead of soup I pronounce soap and here I'm in front of the soups. The same thing is with flower, flour, floor. It's a big mess. So when I have to say flour I said something diferent. With whole of that misponounciation I faced sometimes problems.
Guest   Sat May 17, 2008 11:28 pm GMT
In English, you have to memorize both the spelling and pronunciation for each word. Of course, the spelling usually contains strong clues as to how a word is pronounced.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 12:07 am GMT
What's your first language? Spanish?
Laura Braun   Sun May 18, 2008 5:25 pm GMT
no way hose. You have to have a clue to get to know my first language.
Guest   Sun May 18, 2008 6:32 pm GMT
A clue? Yikes!
Duane   Sun May 18, 2008 7:56 pm GMT
I have been 'bugged' by the way things are spelled as compared to how we pronounce them. I have looked at several phonetic alphabets but found them either too complicated with all the accent marks etc. or they used symbols that were not on standard keyboards.

After retiring a few years ago I worked out what I call "Phonetic American alphabet Simplified" (PAAS). I use All 36 Uppercase letters and 10 lowercase. Each vowel has one, and only one, sound (12 in all). Also I never use double letters such as ph or ch. Most letters sound the same as in american English. Details can be found on my website fonikspel.com Would like feed back at paas@fonikspel.com
I am working on computer programs to read and pronounce text written in PAAS. I use (fs) to indicate PAAS text.
(I do not sell anything.)
duane   Sun May 18, 2008 8:09 pm GMT
YIKES! I wrote 36 Uppercase rather than 26 uppercase. (36 total)
Re "Phonetic American Alphabet Simplified"
Russconha   Sun May 18, 2008 11:26 pm GMT
Laura

Please pronounce and spell 'pronunciation' correctly. This will earn you good kudos with intelligent English users.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 12:59 am GMT
The problem with phonetic spelling is that each dialect would spell things differently. In the UK, lots of people would leave off many of the r's, for example. Also, spelling of some words would change, dpending on where the word was in a sentence. Example, "can" in these sentences:

This tuna can swim.

This tuna can is recyclable.

This tuna can can be recycled.
Laura Braun   Mon May 19, 2008 1:09 am GMT
I probably mispelled the word pronounciation right but I'm not going to win the kudos with how did you say intelligent english users. I do not bother about inteligent English users at all. Believe me, Russcona. Those who are trying to seek for approval of them should go to some other places like American singles or something. I just want to share my experiance with english, that's all. In fact I did spell the word pronounciation right at first, then may be, I made a mistake, but 'Errare humanus est' as latin said. Go and stuck your opinion somewhere else.
Berlusconi   Mon May 19, 2008 2:50 am GMT
Laura Braun, don't be a fool. You look like an unemployed person spelling it like that.
Laura Braun   Mon May 19, 2008 3:30 am GMT
Berlusconi, don't be silly. We all are here to study and you are not supposed to read perfect english at all. Finally we all are work in progress. I just wanted to share some dificulties which bothered me, that's all. Good bye.
Duane   Mon May 19, 2008 7:31 pm GMT
refere to Duane May 18.

A phonetic alphabet lets you spell to fit the local dilect.
Ex. tomato using the PAAS guide below, you can spell it.
TuMATO OR ToMoTO

Guide:
Long vowels use uppercase - AEIOU (Drop the Y sound from U)
Short vowels are: a as in at, e as in ed, i as in it, o as in ox, u as in up.
Since we need 2 more and since Q duplicates K we will use Q as 'ow'(it looks like an O sitting on a thorn.) and q as oo in look or u as in put.

Just this part works when using it for all vowel sounds but a few more reasignments will complete the phonetic alphabet:

C - use as ch (has been suggested by others) and c for sh.

X can be replaced by eKS so we will use X as th in think and x as in the.

I also use W for wh in what and n for the ing sound.

THAT IS IT! alway use (fs) to show that text is using PAAS. (all so called FoNiKSPeL)

(fs) xiS MA LqK HoRD BuT iT iZ NoT. GiV iT A TRI.

(I have used it for learning words in other languages by having some one say the word slowly and writing it in PAAS then days later reading it back.)
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 7:50 pm GMT
IT IS "ERRARE HUMANUM EST"!
Russconha   Tue May 20, 2008 6:44 am GMT
Laura,

I'm sorry if you took offence, I didn't mean it to come out that way.

Check this from www.dictionary.com

<No results found for pronounciation.
Did you mean Pronunciation>

The second syllabe is pronounced 'nun' in this form. I do not have the authority to approve your English, but as you were asking for advice I thought I would give it. If you read to the end of my paragraph, you would have seen that I was trying to help you and gain you respect.

Whenever I hear a non native speaker say 'pronunciation' correctly, I am impressed as many native English speakers make this mistake as well.