Spirit of Unity in Europe ?

Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 8:54 am GMT
<<Spain was created thanks to the national dominance of Castilian Spanish, if Europe lacks a lingua franca it's very difficult to achieve that level of integration. Despite regional identities exist in Spain, Spanish is still the mother tongue of most of people in these 'special' regions like Catalonia or Basque County.>>

ЕU has lingua franca - all the population is fluent in at least one of English, German or French. I think in the future English will be a universal second language. People will speak it possibly nearing the level that Catalonians speak Spanish. If not that, they will still know it well enough to be super productive.
mac   Mon May 19, 2008 9:05 am GMT
Maybe the EU will end up being like China, India or Russia - Large unified countries that contain many states/regions of varying cultures and languages. Europe needs to integrate anyways if it want to remain powerful and competitive in the 21st century. If trends continue, then English would probably end up being the main lingua franca.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 10:37 am GMT
^All this has already happened!^
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:39 pm GMT
-In the USA, there are various states, but they don't have much different caracteristics, use many the same language and practive about the same culture(s). they can't be considered as different nations.-

I don't think California or Texas or Iowa or Idaho share the same culture.
Colette   Mon May 19, 2008 2:43 pm GMT
Frenchmen are eunuchs . Proof here:

Gallus also means eunuch in Latin:

Galli (singular Gallus) was the Roman name for castrated followers of the Phrygian goddess Cybele, which were regarded as a third gender by contemporary Roman scholars,[citation needed] comparable to transgendered people in the modern world. The chief of these priests was referred to as a battakes, and later as the archigallus.Hieronymus believed the name was given by the Romans as a sign of their contempt for the Gauls.

So the Gauls were eunuchs and their descendants too. This fact explains why French sounds so gay! They lack what real men have.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:47 pm GMT
<<I don't think California or Texas or Iowa or Idaho share the same culture. >>

I suppose they're more similar than Norway, Greece, Russia, and Turkey, for example.