"Bloody"

Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 3:50 pm GMT
Do British still say "bloody"? Is it a class thing?
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 4:55 pm GMT
Perhaps Damian would kindly contribute an essay?
Bloody Mary   Mon May 19, 2008 5:11 pm GMT
Yes we do.
Damian n Edinburgh   Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 pm GMT
The word "bloody" has lost its power of deliberate offensive expression and it's hardly ever used any more in Britain. Other more effective expletives have long since taken its place, but even they now are beginning to lose steam, so someone will have to think up some new ones I reckon.

When George Bernard Shaw's play "Pygmalion" was performed on the stage for the first time in the early 20th century, people in the audiences were genuinely shocked when Eliza Doolittle yelled out: "Not bloody likely!" Some literally had the vapours on hearing that. Needless to say those sensitive souls were from what was known at the time as "polite society", and the types much more likely to go to the West End theatre rather than down to the saloon bar at the old Dog and Duck on the Mile End Road. Society just isn't quite so genteely "polite" any more.

NB: That was what I call a mini essay.
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 8:48 pm GMT
Fair enough.
Skippy   Mon May 19, 2008 9:44 pm GMT
Is the phrase in use anywhere else? I've heard it in America, admittedly I've said it before, but it's hardly a part of every day speech.
Porchia   Mon May 19, 2008 10:13 pm GMT
I use it when I'm in one of my polite moods.
Go on smile, it wont hurt   Mon May 19, 2008 10:17 pm GMT
Usually it prefixes the word "Immigrants" and is used by 60 y.o Daily Mail readers.
Humble   Tue May 20, 2008 5:38 am GMT
So what's the modern equivalent (not too obscene)?
Guest   Tue May 20, 2008 7:08 am GMT
'Bloody' is part of everyday speech for a big chunk of New Zealanders, especially the older ones (40+).
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue May 20, 2008 2:49 pm GMT
***So what's the modern equivalent (not too obscene)?***

Just watch (bleep) late night British TV dramas or (bleep) reality TV shows - that should give you a (bleep) pretty good idea. Daytime TV usually engages the (bleep) bleep buttons.
Humble   Wed May 21, 2008 6:13 am GMT
Do you mean to say, Damian, that people say "bleep" or that taboo words have largely substituted the relatively decent "bloody"?
I did hear people say "bleep".
Pub Lunch   Wed May 21, 2008 1:43 pm GMT
I still hear this quite often as it goes - I certainly use it alot. You don't hear "Bleeding" as much though.

"Flipping" seems to be on the increase mind, I have no idea why. I mean, how did that word get involved in the equation???
Bill in Warwick   Wed May 21, 2008 11:54 pm GMT
I can tell you that "bloody" has only ever been a British expletive. Absolutely NOBODY in America ever uses it. It's a wonderful obscenity (referring as it does to menstrual blood, truly grotesque), but here we would just say "fucking"
Chris   Sat May 24, 2008 12:30 pm GMT
You can still use "bloody" in England, but stronger expletives are used more often. But no one ever says the phrase that many Americans think sums up British English: bloody blokes. Although English people say bloody and blokes (both words past their prime, but still used to a degree), they are not used together in the same expression.