German masterpieces in Latin

Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 6:44 pm GMT
<<a very complex and highly-developed language like German>>
I believe you've never learnt Latin
Skippy   Wed May 21, 2008 6:45 pm GMT
English doesn't "come from" Latin per se. A large part of its lexicon is of Latin origin, but English is without a doubt a Germanic language. English is no more a Latin language than French is a Germanic language.
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 6:53 pm GMT
<<English is no more a Latin language than French is a Germanic language.>>
Forget those phrasal verbs ,use more latin words and be part of the latin union.
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 6:53 pm GMT
<<
BULLSHIT! There are no ideas that cannot be expressed in the english language.

Claims such as these, are generally made by non-anglophone people with a weak grasp of the english language, who figure that since they themselves can't express something in english, then it can't be done.>>

Exactly. Romance speaking trolls, make nonsense claims like this all the time here on antimoon regarding the supposed impossibilty of expressing "shades" of meaning in the English language; in reality it is their knowledge of English that is deficient, and not the language itself.
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 7:10 pm GMT
<<<<a very complex and highly-developed language like German>>
I believe you've never learnt Latin >>

From what I've heard, both Latin and German are far to complex for me to learn. I'm an E1Ler, and I'm spoiled by the simple and down-to-earth nature of English.

A good question would be: Which is more highly-developed and subtle -- German or Latin?
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 7:44 pm GMT
You're one subtle troll. LOL
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 8:00 pm GMT
<<You're one subtle troll. LOL>>

I believe this whole thread was started just to encourage trollery. Isn't it best to fit in with the spirit of the other posts. :)
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 8:07 pm GMT
"It might be useful in Latin classes"
I guess Nabokov would be more popular in Vatican then Freud.
Skippy   Wed May 21, 2008 9:18 pm GMT
If you're looking for good bilingual texts in Latin and Ancient Greek (English being printed on the opposing page), Loeb publications comes out with a bunch.
Guest   Wed May 21, 2008 10:13 pm GMT
they're so expensive though--know of any other publication companies for Latin?