Please stop saying Castilian Spanish

Guest   Sun May 25, 2008 10:25 am GMT
"We the English speakers call it the way we want to. Castilian Spanish is an English term, don't forget it, so your opinion as a Spanish speaker has zero value. By the way, how do you call the Spanish variety spoken in Castile if Castilian Spanish is wrong?."

See the point #3 in the first message. First of all Castile, like Yorkshire, is a historic region that no longer exists, even worst, it has had mobile boundarys in the South. Anyway, I suppose we can say that Nothern Castilians speaks Spansih Nothern accents, that's to say, Castilian, while Southern Castilians, probably including Madrid, speak some kind of transitional accents, transitional between Andalusian and Castilian.

And regarding Castilian being an English term, that's bullshit, 99% of English speakers don't know the word Castilian at all. It's a scientific term used (wrongly) by English Speakers interested in languages and in Spanish in particular. I'm sure you can do better.
Guest   Sun May 25, 2008 11:05 am GMT
"Iberian sounds like an Airline company"

Yeah, that's the thing with peninsulas, they are full of people, languages, air companys, pigs and lynx, eagles, all sort of plants, and so on. British and American are in the name of airline companies too, so if all what you know about that part of the world is that there is an air company on it, what are you doing giving your opion about how the languages on that soil must be called?

Anyway, if you don't like the way it sounds, you have plenty of other correct terms, for example:

Spanish from Spain
Peninsular Spanish
European Spanish
Spanish Spanish
es_ES

So don't use the only one which is clearly wrong.
K. T.   Sun May 25, 2008 8:52 pm GMT
"Yes, it is. Peninsular from the Iberian Peninsula, it is problably the most used term among natives who are into languages, it is also an everyday word in the Canary Isles and still understood in the Peninsula, but I doubt it will be so in Latin America for normal people."

Thank-you. This actually confirms something for me.
Guest   Sun May 25, 2008 9:04 pm GMT
Sorry but "español peninsular " is not a frequent term in Spain, maybe in Canary Islands it's true, but not in the whole Spain.
Guest   Sun May 25, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
And what did I say mate? Even apart from languages the word peninsular is hardly used nowadays in the Peninsula itself, just for the time (Peninsular time), the weather and no much more, but I think it is still UNDERSTOOD, especially from people related in some way to the Canaries.

But, mind you, there isn't any word frequently used in the coffe shop around the corner to refer to the Spanish spoken in Spain opposed to the one spoken in Latin America, because normal people don't talk about this stuff, they just speak Spanish. So, I don't get you, if you wanna know how widespread is that term just go to WorldReference Forums and fill in the fucking search box.
K. T.   Mon May 26, 2008 12:28 am GMT
Whoa! I didn't mean to start a word war here! I just saw it in a book and it's not a term that I personally use. I thought that it was probably used regionally.
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 12:33 am GMT
I use Castilian Spanish rather than Peninsular Spanish. It's the most accurate term IMHO.
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 12:38 am GMT
"I use Castilian Spanish rather than Peninsular Spanish. It's the most accurate term IMHO."

That's very interesting, but have you used your mind in any way you can share with us? I mean to reach that conclusion.
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 12:44 am GMT
Are you a troll? (Just a rethoric question).
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 2:07 pm GMT
Español Iberico y
Portugues Iberico
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 2:11 pm GMT
Español de pata negra.
Chris   Mon May 26, 2008 2:43 pm GMT
Es mi gato, y lo follo cuando quiero.
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 5:51 pm GMT
salchichón ibérico
chorizo ibérico
jamón ibérico
cerdo ibérico