Nordic English

Milton   Sun May 25, 2008 2:27 pm GMT
Many people say people from Scandinavian countries speak impeccable English, but I find annoying their not being able to pronounce voiced consonants. Danish pronunciation: results [ri'solts] ;)
It does not sound like a ''variation'', but more like a defect of speech, something that speech therapist should treat. What do you think?
Skippy   Sun May 25, 2008 6:49 pm GMT
I think that's more of their accent influencing their speech... Perhaps if they were native speakers I'd be more inclined to agree with the "Nordic English" title.
Mika   Sun May 25, 2008 9:41 pm GMT
<< Many people say people from Scandinavian countries speak impeccable English, but I find annoying their not being able to pronounce voiced consonants. Danish pronunciation: results [ri'solts] ;)
It does not sound like a ''variation'', but more like a defect of speech, something that speech therapist should treat. What do you think? >>

Personally, I find the various accents of English -including the 'foreign' ones- are part of the richness of the English language which I cherish.
Besides, I find it quite unnecessary to let oneself be annoyed by such a minor pronunciation difference like the lack of the Z-sound.

Relax. Take it easy. ;-)
Guest   Sun May 25, 2008 11:20 pm GMT
Do they pronounce LOSE and LOOSE, (to) USE and (the) USE the same?
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 12:00 am GMT
impeccable relative to what? The French?

"Personally, I find the various accents of English -including the 'foreign' ones- are part of the richness of the English language which I cherish"

Does this mean that the richness of the French language is increased by the way native English speakers pronounce it?

All foreign accents do is add corrupt the language at an international level.
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 12:41 am GMT
Generally people from Scandinavian countries do speak English very well, which doesn't mean their pronunciation is 100% perfect.
Isn't it a bit too much calling it annoying? There are probably some native pronunciations more "annoying"...
Mika   Mon May 26, 2008 11:56 am GMT
<< Does this mean that the richness of the French language is increased by the way native English speakers pronounce it? >>

Yes.

<< All foreign accents do is add corrupt the language at an international level. >>

If a non native speaker made the effort to learn my language, even if (s)he got a foreign pronunciation, I'd be pleased rather than complain.

<< Isn't it a bit too much calling it annoying? There are probably some native pronunciations more "annoying"... >>

Ditto!
Russconha   Tue May 27, 2008 12:18 am GMT
<<< Does this mean that the richness of the French language is increased by the way native English speakers pronounce it? >>>

The various (maybe 5) United Statian accents are proof of this as the accents developed as the lowest common denominator between the various immigrants adapting to understand each other.
Xavier   Tue May 27, 2008 12:37 am GMT
united statian??

what's that?? lol