Ustedes

K. T.   Mon May 26, 2008 12:38 am GMT
I've wondered about the RAE. Do all Spanish-speaking countries look to it for the standard or do some disregard this authority? I think
educated speakers of Spanish are fairly consistent from my experience. I don't have trouble understanding them.
mac   Mon May 26, 2008 2:08 am GMT
Hey KT. I was asking some native Spanish speaking friends from Argentina and Mexico some questions and they referred me to RAE, so I assume they use at least somewhat dispite the different regional rules.

As for the original question: Les is an indirect object pronoun and when you use the verb "ver", you use a direct object pronoun like lo, la, los, las.

As far as I know, if the object in question is not known, then say: Vi a ustedes. I the object is already known, then just say: Los vi.
K. T.   Mon May 26, 2008 2:19 am GMT
I can believe it, mac. I wonder about places like Cuba and countries in Central America. I suppose I wonder about access to the internet in Cuba, for example.
Rodrigo   Mon May 26, 2008 4:03 am GMT
Los vi a ustedes sounds perfectly natural and correct to me. Vi a ustedes sounds weird but i do not know if it's incorrect. I agree with mac, if I want to be quick I'd say Los vi.
Mika   Mon May 26, 2008 11:49 am GMT
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Les agradezco a ustedes por las respuestas!
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 2:01 pm GMT
Los vi a ustedes (all of Latin America)
Les vi a ustedes (Spain, that's it)

They're both understandable, but I'd suggest you to learn the way 90% of Spanish speakers do and not that of just one small country.
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 2:02 pm GMT
Oh by the way, the sentance you just said:

"Les agradezco a ustedes por las respuestas!"

is fine in all countries.
Mika   Mon May 26, 2008 2:05 pm GMT
Gracias!
Guest   Mon May 26, 2008 2:17 pm GMT
<<"Les agradezco a ustedes por las respuestas!"

is fine in all countries. >>

I'm not so sure. Agradecer is not a prepositional verb, so it's more correct to say : "Les agradezco a ustedes las respuestas". On the other hand if you said instead "Gracias por las respuestas", in this sentence "por" is necessary, but not in the first case. At least it's so in Castilian Spanish.