can learning be a lost cause

Ginetd   Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:27 pm GMT
Well, but i believe Xie has hit the hammer on the nail. This is all fine and games until someone loses an eye, but at what cost? Sure, you have your lazy american accents and you're walking fine with your long arms and your chewing gum and so the germans used to call them gummiehansel. Xie has skipped the relevant examples, but as she points out, most of them are quite vivid.

Guest has asked on Sat May 31, 2008 2:41 am GMT whether Xie is on drugs and Xie responds, "why not?" Indeed, why not? Is it only for the hippies and yippees to take a drug when a drug is needed? I think not. If one is ill it is necessary to medicate and if not me, then who or whom. If I am not for me, who will be for me, but if I am only for me, am I still me?

This is the pronunciation patter that we make the result from: Rhotic or non? And for sino-chinese, will the rhotic remove totally and be replaced with a glottal stop? I would vote for the glottal stop to replace the double "T" in the word "glottal". I would rhyme it with the Cockney "bottle" and so forth. You see.

When our father of the large war returned, he went working in the iron making factory and to a Prostituierteen was married. My brother then left our home to find to its fortune in somewhat strange countries because our father were frequent from the rage full and struck himself with the sharp hooks. We traveled with the Förderwagen, when we went there to the market and we found many beautiful women, with which we speak and kiss. None were as beautiful as our father's woman, who, although it was a whore, we all loved her, and she was very fine. But that is a history for another tournement as the saying goes!
Xie   Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:18 am GMT
I can't read it.

Sorry, my knowledge is too shaky at the moment.
Guest   Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:17 am GMT
I know what rhotic/non rhotic is but what does glottal stop mean?
Thanks
Padre   Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:34 am GMT
Glottal stop is an abrupt cessation of air coming through the throat. You hear it in the American pronunciation of rotten and in the cockey "bottle". In Arabic and Farsi you find it in words such as fe'lan, ta'aroff etc.
Midori   Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:47 pm GMT
Ginetd: I'm still laughing...
Midori   Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:49 pm GMT
But surely Xie's effort must be appreciated.