Japanese place names

Shoh   Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:23 am GMT
Oh, wow. I had no idea! I always thought I had to choose, but that was only because that's what I heard. I'm very happy about that.

By the way, how do you input Japanese characters? Whenever I type in Japanese, it comes out as question marks: 日本語が入力できません。
zatsu   Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:06 am GMT
Hmm, I believe the thing with dual nationality is that it has to work both ways: it doesn't matter if the USA allows it if Japan or any other country involved doesn't accept it.

That is to say, both countries have to allow dual nationality for it to be possible, otherwise you have to choose one of them.
J.C.   Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:14 am GMT
"By the way, how do you input Japanese characters? Whenever I type in Japanese, it comes out as question marks: 日本語が入力できません."
Hi Shoh-san,
I just choose the Japanese fonts on my mac and post...There's nothing special about it...Maybe things are different for windows users.

"That is to say, both countries have to allow dual nationality for it to be possible, otherwise you have to choose one of them."
zatsu: I think everything has to do with "don't ask don't tell" :)
I also know Brazilian friends who keep both passports even though the Japanese government says that they have to choose. Personally I think that's a bunch of BS. No one has the right to tell someone which nationality he/she should choose!!!
Too bad I can't have two nationalities...I wonder if Portugal could give me a passport!!! :)
Cheers!!!
J.C.   Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:27 am GMT
I found this interesting about the ainus:
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/national/news/20080606p2a00m0na012000c.html

Just hope the Japanese government keeps its promises...
zatsu   Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:32 am GMT
<<I think everything has to do with "don't ask don't tell" :) >>

Wow, lol, really?? I thought Japan would be much stricter than that, considering they have death penalty for those cases? =/

I agree, no one has the right to make you choose a nationality, but in today's world isn't it already lucky to be able to choose at all? Most people can't, and if you want some other nationality (and other privileges as well), you should, at least in theory, abide by their rules.
I understand though, no one really wants to renounce to their own nationality, something they were born with. It's harder when one of the countries allows dual nationality and the other doesn't... maybe in some cases you can't even renounce to your own nationality?

Regarding Portuguese nationality, or dual nationality, some things have changed since the EU.
Now you can have it, as I said before, if you:
*were born in Portugal and your parents were living in the country for more than 5 years
*one of your parents or grandparents is Portuguese
*marry a Portuguese (and stay married for at least 3 years)
*are over 18 and have been legally living in the country for more than 6 years

All this among other pre-requisites, of course.
Guess it's not that hard, huh? You can make it if you really want to, lol >.<
What about Japanese or Brazilian, do you know the requisites?

~yes, indeed an interesting article about the Ainu!^^
They deserve to be considered indigenous.
J.C.   Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:34 pm GMT
"Regarding Portuguese nationality, or dual nationality, some things have changed since the EU.
Now you can have it, as I said before, if you:
*were born in Portugal and your parents were living in the country for more than 5 years
*one of your parents or grandparents is Portuguese
*marry a Portuguese (and stay married for at least 3 years)
*are over 18 and have been legally living in the country for more than 6 years "

Thanks for the info, zatsu-san!
Do you have Portuguese nationality? I could never take it because there's no Portuguese in my family up to my great-grandma...Even if I had I don't know if I'd like to have a passport of a country I don't know.

All this among other pre-requisites, of course.
Guess it's not that hard, huh? You can make it if you really want to, lol >.<
"What about Japanese or Brazilian, do you know the requisites? "
To be Brazilian you must either be born there since there's no "jus sanguinis" like the Japanese or German or you must be born to Brazilian parents (one parent is OK) in a foreign country. Recently there was a problem with Brazilians born in Japan, Germany or countries that require that one of the parents be a native of the country. Until recently Brazilians born abroad weren't automatically Brazilians because they had to be back in Brazil until they were 18. Otherwise they would lose their Brazilian nationality and be "apátridas" (without nationality).
This law changed recently and that means my son has 2 nationalities. But if he stays in Japan he will have to choose one when he's 20..
By the way, to be Japanese one of one's parents must be Japanese, regardless of where the child was born...That's really difficult to understand...

Um abração!!
Guest   Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:19 pm GMT
in Brazil, it's easier to get Italian citizenship than Portuguese.
Even, the wife of Brazilian President Lula got her Italian citizenship for her and her (and Lula's) children.
Guest   Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:32 pm GMT
Many South Americans enter Europe legally thanks to their Italian citizenship. That is the case of an Argentinian woman I met in Spain. It must be really easy to acquire the Italian citizenship for them.