Lanuage stereotypes

Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:42 pm GMT
<<I think that Don Quixote is even more important that the Bible. It's the most beautiful book Humankind ever produced. >>

I wonder if people the world over have spent anywhere near as much time reading "Don Quixote" (translated into their own language) as reading the Bible (also translated), or the Koran.

(Or did I miss an implied smiley face in the above post?)
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:43 pm GMT
<<Spain is not now a superpower , was a superpower at one time.

And will be again. >>

Any projections as to when?
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:46 pm GMT
I wonder if people the world over have spent anywhere near as much time reading "Don Quixote" (translated into their own language) as reading the Bible (also translated), or the Koran

Don Quixote has been more translated than Quran. It's the second most translated book after the Bible.
zatsu   Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:55 pm GMT
Actually, I would like to know someone who has read the Bible.
For sure I read some excerpts of the New Testament when I went to Christian school as a kid, but never the whole thing, and most people I know didn't even do that.

Isn't it a stereotype to think all Christians have read the Bible?
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:11 pm GMT
<< For sure I read some excerpts of the New Testament when I went to Christian school as a kid, but never the whole thing, and most people I know didn't even do that.
>>

At least you read something. I'm Christian (in theory) and I didn't.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:13 pm GMT
<<Isn't it a stereotype to think all Christians have read the Bible?>>

More people have read the entire Bible than Quixote by an enormous margin.

<<Hispanics gave evidence the world was round.>>

Wrong, Christopher Columbus, an Italian, provided the evidence. The Spanish, or as you refer to them, the Hispanics didn't give a shit. They just wanted to find new lands to rob, new tribes to slaughter and rape, etc...They were too dumb to get involved in scientific controversies. They just provided the stolen gold so that smart non-Hispanics could exercise their superior mental capacities.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:16 pm GMT
<<Spain is not now a superpower , was a superpower at one time.

And will be again.>>

LOL, Spain only won battles against primitive natives in the Americas. They got their asses handed to them by the British, Dutch and anyone else who owned a musket.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:19 pm GMT
Columbus was an Spaniard. That surname simply does not exist in Italy and it is quite frequent in some places in Spain like Galicia. He didn't wrote in Italian, Genoese or anything like that but he did wrote his bitacora in Spanish, he gave Spanish surnames to his sons, ... Too many evidences to claim he was an Italian but if you feel better believing he was it's ok. In the end the Spanish kings were the ones who made the travel possible, so at least them were also aware of the factibility of Columbus' ideas based on the roundness of the Earth.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:21 pm GMT
<<LOL, Spain only won battles against primitive natives in the Americas. They got their asses handed to them by the British, Dutch and anyone else who owned a musket. >>
Blas de Lezo come again . Save us of the english lies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c94R2_CtQjQ&feature=related
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:28 pm GMT
The Dutch had to maintain a war of 80 years to get rid of the Spanish and yet the southern part of the Netherland remained under Spanish control. Why do you think Flanders is still Catholic ? At those times it was a question of Spain vs anything else and yet Spain won most of the battes. Just compare it to the ridiculous III Reich that lasted a few years or the microscopic Dutch empire. Clearly Spain wins.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:33 pm GMT
<<Clearly Spain wins. >>

It's more like "Spain won". It's not yet clear who the new superpower will be, but it's probably not Spain.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:50 pm GMT
<<The Dutch had to maintain a war of 80 years to get rid of the Spanish and yet the southern part of the Netherland remained under Spanish control. Why do you think Flanders is still Catholic ? At those times it was a question of Spain vs anything else and yet Spain won most of the battes. Just compare it to the ridiculous III Reich that lasted a few years or the microscopic Dutch empire. Clearly Spain wins.>>

Spain is pathetic. Even little Netherlands kicked their ass in battle. Hahhahahaa