What Language is most similar to Spanish

Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:20 pm GMT
<<Out of Romance languages, I'm not recalling any language that can be said similar to Spanish. >>

Greek sounds very similar to Spanish and Basque sounds exactly the same as Spanish.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:26 pm GMT
"Among the non Romance languages I would say English because of shared vocabulary and similar grammar."

Not true.

Spanish is an African language.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:29 pm GMT
It's an Indo-European language steming from Latin.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:31 pm GMT
Spanish is a duck language.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:33 pm GMT
"It's an Indo-European language steming from Latin."

False. Italian and French are neo-latin language. Spanish derives from North African languages.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:34 pm GMT
False. Italian and French are neo-latin language. Spanish derives from North African languages.

Can you provide any sources, dear troll ?
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:39 pm GMT
The "source" is the domination of Arabs in Spain.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:41 pm GMT
Christians learned the Arabian language, therefor those Christians in Al-Andalus were given the Arabian expression “Musta’Ribun”. This was the reason that the Arabian language became also the language of Non-Arab’s in Spain. In spite of the safety, which the Non-Arabs in Arabian Spain had, did many convert to the Arabian belief and became the same rights as the native Arabs.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:42 pm GMT
The Arabs came first in the year AD 711 to Spain and conquered Toledo and Córdoba. It took only seven years and the hispanic peninsula belonged to the Arabs except a small part in the north. During this time the Arabian Spain were called Al-Andalus and Córdoba was its centre.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:45 pm GMT
The "source" is the domination of Arabs in Spain.

And? Greece was under the rule of the Otoman Empire and that does not mean that Greek derives from Turkish. You seem quite obsessed trying to make us believe that Spanish derives from Arabic, what is quite ridiculous and pointless.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:51 pm GMT
"And? Greece was under the rule of the Otoman Empire and that does not mean that Greek derives from Turkish. You seem quite obsessed trying to make us believe that Spanish derives from Arabic, what is quite ridiculous and pointless. "

The difference between Greeks and Spanish is that Greeks had a strong culture.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:55 pm GMT
I'm Catalan and I think it is true that Spanish language derive from Arabic language. Catalan is a Neo-latin language with French and Italian.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:56 pm GMT
The difference between Greeks and Spanish is that Greeks had a strong culture.

Yo don't have the minor clue about Greek and Spanish culture. You don't even know that not the whole Iberian Peninsula fell under the Muslim rule and Spanish appeared precissely in that area free from muslim. So I will take your words as mere illiterate trollerism.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:01 pm GMT
"I'm Catalan and I think it is true that Spanish language derive from Arabic language. Catalan is a Neo-latin language with French and Italian."

Yes Catalan is a Neo-latin language. Spanish not. Spanish it's like Maltese. Partially Romance and Partially Arabic.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:06 pm GMT
Stupid Catalan, the whole Catalonia was conquered by the Muslims but there was a strip of land along the Northern coast of Spain that expelled the Muslims and never become a Muslims territory. Here Castilian appeared but Barcelona was muslim for 80 years and Southern Catalonia was Muslim from 711 to 1230 . I'm Italian and Catalonians always were depicted as low people, read Dante.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Age-of-caliphs.png