Which type of dialogues are happening in the ESL classroom?

MollyB   Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:17 pm GMT
ESL teachers and students, do you ever get close to creating, or even working on, this kind of native-speaker dialogue in your classrooms?

[b]Math study group members complaining about their homework assignment[/b]

Nick: Male senior undergrad
Jane: Female senior undergrad
Amy: Female senior undergrad
Setting: Nesbitt Lounge, East Hall

1 Jane: Alright…Why did she give multiple parts for every single problem we have?
2 Amy: She wanted to torture us.
3 Nick: I think it’s cuz like, that last time I don’t think we did a lot on the homework, if I remember right.
4 Jane: I really like how she says this problem set contains a total of four problems. It’s like no, four times two plus one problems.
5 Nick: Yeah why does she tell us it contains four problems?
6 Jane: Oh I can’t see ‘em. Oh the printer chewed off, just cut off number four. So, maybe that’s why she puts it at the top just in case.
7 Nick: Yeah that is a little quirk. She’s trying to trick us into thinking like oh…
8 Jane: Yeah she’s like “Oh that’s not bad this problem set only has four problems in it.” Yeah, whatever.
9 Amy: And there’s like two parts for three of ‘em.
10 Nick: Alright, so, oh my gosh so this has three parts.
11 Jane: For all of ‘em?
12 Amy: Two parts for all of ‘em?
13 Jane: Yeah. And number two has three parts.
14 Nick: This has three parts.
15 Amy: Oh you’ve got to be kidding.
16 Nick: Well at least we only have to do two of the five parts on fourteen. No, this won’t necessarily be that hard.
17 Jane: Did you say two of the five parts on fourteen?
18 Nick: Yeah we only have to do one and two out of five.
19 Jane: Oh, alright.
20 Nick: And on fifteen we only have to do two of, well one out of four but its number two. Why don’t we…Fourteen’s gonna be easy let’s start there. It really is gonna be easy.
21 Jane: Oh yeah alright <Reading: Find the image of the point…>

http://lw.lsa.umich.edu/eli/micase/MIcomplaints2.pdf
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:49 pm GMT
Why should an ESL class teach such vulgar speech habits?