Typing Traditional Chinese quote marks with (PRC)Pinyin IME?

Mogumogu   Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:38 pm GMT
I don't know how to type Traditional Chinese quotation marks using the Microsoft Pinyin IME keyboard layout.

I'm referring to:
「 」 and 『 』

I just typed those symbols with the Chinese (Taiwan) IME.

However, since I use Hanyu Pinyin input (the standard method in the PRC), I rely on Microsoft Pinyin IME.

I usually prefer Traditional Chinese (personal taste, besides communicating with relatives in Hong Kong and Taiwan). Even when I write in Simplified Chinese, I still prefer to use Traditional punctuation.

So can someone please tell me how I can type 「 」 and 『 』 using the PRC's Microsoft Pinyin IME? Is there a simple way that I'm not aware of? Thank you very much!!

I know that I can switch between Chinese (PRC) and Chinese (Taiwan) input method editors, or use Microsoft Word's "Insert Symbol" function. After all, that is what I've been doing. However, convenience is what I'm looking for ^_^
Xie   Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:23 am GMT
Yes. I'm using Win XP SP3's MS Pinyin IME 3.0. In the context menu, you can find the 8th soft keyboard, punctuation, and I can see the traditional quotation marks.

But PRC Chinese doesn't normally use them anyway... so I'm afraid you might have to use them like the Russian letters they offer.
Mogumogu   Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:43 am GMT
Thanks a lot, Xie.

It's sad that PRC Chinese does not use 「 」 and even considers them as foreign as Russian letters! Lots of things were thrown away during the Cultural Revolution and Chinese quotation marks were not spared >_<. It's bad enough adopting Simplified characters without also throwing away vertical writing and traditional punctuation.

Books printed in Taiwan look so much nicer!
Nicer   Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:22 am GMT
Simplfied Characters look more elgant...
Xie   Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:58 am GMT
Would you mind telling me whether you are Chinese?

But at any rate, I don't think what you are saying is very justifiable. You may open a thread about this, and you may search for my old posts that may address your complaints.
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:41 am GMT
What do they use in the PRC? Western quotation marks?
PRC   Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:09 pm GMT
Mogumogu   Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:58 am GMT
Hello Xie,

Yes, I'm Chinese. I went to school in Hong Kong but I live in Shanghai now. Of course what I said is not justifiable. "Traditional Chinese looks nicer" is my personal opinion... how can I justify a personal opinion? The same goes for books printed with vertical text. Why do I like it? I cannot explain in words, but my preference is strong enough for me to mail-order most of my Chinese books from Taiwan!
Xie   Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:46 pm GMT
That said, even my mom finds vertical texts more difficult to read. But well, my personal opinion is that, given its "pluricentrality", both PRC and Taiwan Chinese can be very peculiar to read sometimes. My rule of thumb is to feel what sounds "proper" to my ears, and I distinguish between colloquial language (of whichever region that I know) and formal/neutral language very strictly. My writing must be different from what others (and even those in our city), but who cares, diversity is the point of this language.